Student fell to death after eating marijuana cookie in Colorado, coroner says

Marijuana-infused cookies called 'Medibles' are displayed at the Cannabis Crown 2010 expo April 18, 2010, in Aspen, Colorado.       Chris Hondros/Getty Images

DENVER - A coroner says an exchange student from Congo fell to his death in Denver after eating a marijuana cookie.

An autopsy report released Wednesday says marijuana intoxication was a contributing factor in the death of 19-year-old Levi Thamba Pongi on March 11 in a fall from a motel balcony.

Authorities say Pongi got the cookie from a friend. Police ruled the death an accident but haven't released the findings of their investigation.

Colorado law bans the sale of recreational marijuana products to people under 21. Authorities say one of Pongi's friends was old enough to buy the cookie.

Officials at Northwest College in Wyoming say Pongi, a native of the Republic of Congo, started taking classes as an exchange student in January.


Watch CBSN Live

Watch CBS News anytime, anywhere with the new 24/7 digital news network. Stream CBSN live or on demand for FREE on your TV, computer, tablet, or smartphone.

Watch Now

New Android App

For your Android phone and tablet, download the FREE redesigned app, featuring CBSN, live 24/7 news.

The all new
CBS News App for Android® for iPad® for iPhone®
Fully redesigned. Featuring CBSN, 24/7 live news. Get the App