Terms & Conditions for Application of Internship
Selected intern will receive a full-time, non-paid, summer internship with Katie Couric and the CBSNews organization (CBS Evening News and CBSNews.com) for credit only over the course of 10 weeks. Hours are Monday-Friday typically 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. ET, but can vary depending on the department. Internship includes course credit and housing at Plimpton Hall located at 1235 Amsterdam Avenue (120th & 121 St.) in New York. Expected timeframe of internship is June-July for 8-10 weeks. Transportation to/from NYC is not included.
Duties can include logging tapes, coordinating scripts, research, preliminary interviews, assisting during shoots, selecting footage, viewer mail, and clerical duties. The CBS Evening News broadcast covers news reports, features and interviews by CBS News correspondents covering events throughout the world. The CBS Intern will assist with the news report research and will need to possess strong communication skills with key contacts and sources, affiliates as well as manage light clerical work. The position will also be responsible for working on editorial development of the Couric & Co section of CBSNews.com. Responsibilities could include Web design, or Web development as well as assist in writing and producing online stories. For more information about a CBSNews.com internship, go to http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/04/26/broadcasts/main613839.shtml.
Juniors, seniors, and graduate students attending an accredited college as of August, 2006 are eligible. A variety of majors qualify including Journalism, Broadcasting, Communication, Public Relations, Marketing, Advertising, English, International Studies, Political Science and more. Participants must have good computer skills, excellent written and oral communication abilities, knowledge of current events, and a 3.0 GPA. Students must receive college credit for the internship. Participants must be residents of the U.S. and District of Columbia (D.C.) and must be 18 or age of majority.
Applicants must submit a video or print story online at http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/09/springboard/main2552915.shtml using the provided form about one of the following topics:
- Climate Change: Find and report a local angle on the national debate on climate change, for example: successful conservation in your community, the work of a scholar in a relevant field, or the arguments and activities of global warming skeptics.
- American Spirit (or Social Entrepreneurship): Find and report a story about a "social entrepreneur" -- someone trying to bring a creative, new solution to a long-standing social, economic or community problem.
- Iraq War Veterans: Profile a veteran of the war in Iraq from you campus or community.
Additional submission requirements:
- Print submissions must not exceed 1,200 words maximum, must contain a supporting photograph, and be in one of the following formats: .doc, .pdf, or .rft.
- Video submissions must be 2 1/2 minute maximum, 20 MB file size, and in one of the following formats: mpg, mpeg, mov, mp4, wmv and avi.
- Content must be original.
- Limit one submission per person.
- All submissions must contain a title/headline and abstract paragraph describing the story.
Participants can only post stories online at the above URL. Qualified submissions will be posted to the public domain. Qualified participants may be asked to complete an Internship Application found at http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/NEWInternshipApplication.doc . Selection of the intern will be made by CBSNews.com and CBS News at which time the selected intern will be notified.
By submitting a story in the context of this unique internship which is unlike the other CBSNews internships offered, you agree to the following:
The following shall constitute the Agreement made between the below named ("Licensor") and CBS Corporation located at 51 West 52nd Street, New York, NY 10019 ("Licensee").
1. Licensor hereby grants to Licensee a non-exclusive license to use still pictures, digital video files, text for print submissions and such other materials as may be submitted by Licensor hereunder (collectively, "the Footage"). Licensor hereby grants to Licensee the right to include the Footage and text submissions (as provided by Licensor and/or as edited by Licensee) as well as the name of the Licensor (and copyright owner, if different than Licensor) in all programming and on the websites produced by Licensee, CBS News, its affiliates and other entities licensed to distribute CBS News programming worldwide, in all media now known and hereafter conceived or created, including, without limitation, home video and Internet, and on-air promotion and advertising relating thereto, in perpetuity. Licensor acknowledges that it will receive no compensation for the rights it has granted herein.
2. In connection with the Footage and text submissions, Licensor warrants and represents for the benefit of Licensee that:
- He or she is 18-years of age or older, and has the right to enter into and perform this Agreement and to grant Licensee all the rights granted herein in that he or she either owns the Footage or controls the exhibition and distribution rights thereto; and
- There are no agreements, nor shall Licensor enter into any agreements, which would prevent the fulfillment of this Agreement or impair or conflict with the rights granted hereunder; and
- Neither the Footage, nor the production or use of the Footage or any element of the Footage hereunder, will infringe on any trademark or trade name of, or violate any right of privacy or any other right of another person, firm, corporation or other entity; and
- Any news events depicted in the Footage are real and not staged and are as described by Licensor. Licensor represents that he or she has not violated any law, rule, or regulation in connection with the creation or distribution of the Footage.
3. Licensor agrees at all times to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Licensee, its subsidiaries, parent company, and any affiliated entities, and the officers, directors, employees, licensees, and agents of each from any and all claims, damages, liabilities, costs, and expenses, including reasonable legal fees, arising out of the broadcast or other use of the Footage as herein contemplated or arising out of the breach of any agreement or warranty made by Licensor herein.
4. Nothing contained in this Agreement shall be deemed to obligate Licensee to broadcast or use the Footage or Licensor's name.
5. This Agreement and all collaterally related issues shall be governed by New York law. This Agreement contains the entire agreement of the parties, supersedes all prior agreements on this subject matter and cannot be modified orally.
Licensor hereby confirms his or her agreement to the foregoing by providing the requested information when submitting a story.
© 2007 CBS. All rights reserved.