Red's Eats, on Route 1 in Wiscasset, Maine, has been serving up lobster rolls -- a New England favorite -- for 78 years.
In addition to the traditional hot dog roll, Red's also sells gluten-free rolls from a local baker, in buttermilk, chick pea and mock rye varieties.
They also serve a Lobster Roll Plate -- a lobster roll served on a bed of lettuce, tomato and lemons (minus the roll!).
Red's Eats Lobster Roll
Plenty of fresh, cooked lobster meat, including an entire tail (split and de-veined), 2 whole claws and knuckle meat
Split-top hot dog buns
- Grill a split-top hot dog bun with Kate's Maine Butter. Brush both sides of the roll with Kate's butter and grill until golden brown.
- Tear lobster meat (tails, claws and knuckle meat) into bite-size pieces. Never use a knife; this can impart an oxidized-metal flavor to seafood.
- Fill the grilled roll with tail, knuckle and claw meat. Put whole claws at each end of the roll (sticking out).
- Top the roll with the entire tail, split in two.
- Serve with Kate's Maine Butter and extra heavy mayonnaise on the side.
- Let your guests do as they choose. We recommend dipping the tails in the butter.
- Drizzle the butter over the entire roll.
Don't miss Mo Rocca's feature on the ubiquitous summer treat, the Lobster Roll, on "Sunday Morning" July 30!
For more info: