Prince Charles, Camilla, may have had phones hacked

Britain's Prince Charles and his wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, attend a pre-royal wedding gala dinner, hosted by Queen Elizabeth II's cousin, Lady Elizabeth Anson, at the Mandarin Oriental hotel on April 28, 2011, in London. Pictures: Prince William and Kate Middleton Pictures: Kate's last night as a commoner Royal wedding: Who's who Timeline: William and Kate's romance Complete coverage: Britain's royal wedding Matthew Lloyd/Getty Images

Prince Charles and his wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, April 28, 2011, in London.
Getty

(CBS) Police have told Buckingham Palace that as many as 10 members of the royal family - and maybe more - have been targeted for phone hacking. Prince Charles and Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, are on that list.

Photos: Prince Charles and Camilla

According to The Guardian, a palace source said police told the prince and the duchess they had been identified as "likely targets" by Glenn Mulcaire, a phone hacker for "News of the World."

The Guardian reports that there's evidence the "News of the World" paid a royal protection officer for private phone numbers of members of the royal household.

Previously, only five members of the royal family had been known as targets of phone hacking, reports the Guardian. Those five included Prince William and Prince Harry. Police had warned members of the royal family about Mulcaire and phone hacking as far back as 2006.

"News of the World" was recently shuttered by its parent company, Rupert Murdoch's News International, in the wake of the cell-phone hacking scandal that in recent weeks has been prominent again across all types of media platforms.

Read more here.

Comments

CBSN Live

pop-out
Live Video

Watch CBSN Live

Watch CBS News anytime, anywhere with the new 24/7 digital news network. Stream CBSN live or on demand for FREE on your TV, computer, tablet, or smartphone.