As he approaches 100 days in office, more than two-thirds of Americans see President Obama as a different kind of politician, according to a new CBS News/New York Times poll.
Asked what sets him apart from other politicians, forty percent cite Mr. Obama's governing style. Nine percent cite his policies, while 13 percent say it's both his style and his policies. Six percent cite another reason.
One in four Americans overall, meanwhile, say Mr. Obama is not different from other politicians.
Republicans are more likely to view the president as a typical politician – 44 percent say he is typical, compared to just 9 percent of Democrats. Nine in ten Democrats see Mr. Obama as a different kind of politician.
While majorities of both whites and blacks say Mr. Obama is a different kind of politician, whites are more than twice as likely as blacks to describe the president as a typical politician.
Click here for the raw data from the poll (PDF).
Check back with CBSNews.com at 6:30 p.m. ET for more results from the poll on Mr. Obama's first 100 days.
This poll was conducted among a random sample of 973 adults nationwide, interviewed by telephone April 22-26, 2009. Phone numbers were dialed from RDD samples of both standard land-lines and cell phones. The error due to sampling for results based on the entire sample could be plus or minus three percentage points. The error for subgroups is higher.
An oversample of African Americans was interviewed for a total of 212 interviews with African Americans. The results were then weighted in proportion to the racial composition of the adult population in the U.S. Census. The margin of error for the sample of African Americans is seven percentage points.
This poll release conforms to the Standards of Disclosure of the National Council on Public Polls.
- Obama: Proud But Not Content
- Obama Urges Swine Flu "Contingency Plans"
- Obama: Info Gained Doesn't Justify Torture
- Obama: "I Don't Want To Run Auto Companies"
- Obama's "Enchanted" Answer
- Obama Hints At Change To "State Secrets" Privilege
- Watch The Full Webcast
- Huffington: Bank Bailouts Could Be Obama's "Achilles' Heel"
- Valerie Jarrett Defends Obama On CIA Memos
- Republicans Ponder: What Next?
- Americans Sound Off On Obama's 100 Days
- Photos: 100 Pictures For 100 Days
- Timeline: The Obama Presidency Day By Day
- Steve Chaggaris: 100 Days In, A Presidency Still Undefined
- Brian Montopoli: What Has Obama Meant For Black America?
- Marc Ambinder: Grading Obama's First 100 Days
- Mark Knoller: 100 Days By The Numbers
- Lara Logan: New President To Be Tested By Old Enemies
- Declan McCullagh: Obama's Transparency Vow Receives Mixed Reviews
- Jessica Derschowitz: The "Obama Effect" In Pop Culture
- Around The Web: What The Media Are Saying
- Chart: 100 Days In The Stock Market
- Word Cloud: President Obama's Words
- Polls: Obama | Race Relations | Torture | Same Sex Marriage | Our Poll, Your Questions | Video: Polling Director
- Complete 100 Days Coverage
Obama's Press Conference:
CBSNews.com's 100 Days Webcast With Katie Couric:
Recap, Analysis & Reaction: