Last Updated Sep 16, 2009 5:17 PM EDT
Pfizer denied Westlock's claims:
Pfizer denies all federal, state and qui tam allegations, with two exceptions. We acknowledge certain improper actions related to the past promotion of Bextra and Zyvox. Beyond those two exceptions we deny all federal and state and qui tam claims.Following Pfizer's funding, the NAMI web site suggested that Geodon be used in children even though the FDA had approved it only for adults, Westlock claims:
(Click to enlarge.) Westlock's suit breaks down Big Pharma's funding of NAMI like this. From 1996-1999, companies gave NAMI $11.72 million:
- Janssen $2.08 million
- Novartis $1.87 million
- Pfizer $1.3 million
- Abbott Laboratories $1.24 million
- Wyeth-Ayerst Pharmaceuticals $658,000
- Bristol-Myers Squibb $613,505
... the organization operates through significant financial support from Defendant Pfizer and other drug makers. Defendant NAMI reciprocates Defendant Pfizer's support by the promotion of the off-label use of Pfizer products, including Geodon ...Even the president of NAMI, James McNulty, was on Pfizer's payroll, the suit alleges:
During the time he was president of NAMI, James McNulty received thousands of dollars for regularly speaking on behalf of Pfizer and other drug makers at various company sponsored events. In an arrangement ethicists say is highly irregular, McNulty would process the "grants" through NAMI Rhode Island. In order to reduce paperwork, according to McNulty, the drug maker would then give NAMI Rhode Island a check and NAMI Rhode Island would in turn give McNulty a check. At no time did McNulty disclose to the audiences at his various speaking engagements, or to NAMI's membership, that he was being paid to speak by drug makers.The number of antipsychotic scripts written for children doubled to 4.4 million between 2003 and 2006, Westlock claims.
- "Pfizer Math" Showed Lyrica Superiority Even Though Studies Never Said That, Rep Claims
- Pfizer Rep Claims Bextra Pushed on NHL's Blue Jackets
- Pfizer Rep Claims Zoloft Touted for Failed Cheerleaders; Viagra for Women
- Pfizer Rep Alleges Viagra Promoted With Unapproved Materials: "Get Those Things Cleaned Up!"
- Pfizer Stock Shrugs Off $2.3B Bextra Fine; Can Anything Deter Off-Label Promotion?
- Pfizer Rep Describes Pushing Zyvox With Flawed Data
- Pfizer's West Side Story: How "the Sharks" Sold Bextra Off-Label
- 10 Amazing Facts About Pfizer's $2.3B Bextra Settlement