Loyd Winford Lafevers, 35, was executed for the 1985 murder of 84-year-old Addie Hawley in Oklahoma City. She was kidnapped from her home, placed in a car trunk and taken to a remote area where she was raped, beaten and burned.
Earlier this month:
- Wanda Jean Allen was put to death on Jan. 11 for the 1988 murder of her lesbian lover.
- Eddie Leroy Trice, convicted of raping, beating to death, and robbing an 84-year-old woman in 1987, died Jan. 9.
- Floyd Allen Medlock was executed Jan. 16 for stabbing a 7-year-old to death and dumping her body in a trash bin in 1990.
- Dion Smallwood went to the death chamber on Jan. 18 for beating a 68-year-old woman with a croquet mallet, then burning her alive, in 1992.
- On Jan. 23, Mark Andrew Fowler, 35, was put to death for a 1985 triple murder.
- Fowler's partner in that crime, Billy Ray Fox, 35, died by lethal injection on Jan. 25.
Robert William Clayton, 39, convicted of killing 19-year-old Rhonda Kay Timmons in 1985, was to die Jan. 4. He received a 30-day stay when a misplaced bloody sock, overalls and knife that will be tested for DNA were finally found in the prosecutor's office, just 24 hours before he was to be executed.
© MMI Viacom Internet Services Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Reuters Limited and the Associated Press contributed to this report