A man who accused a police officer of mistakenly killing his son during the Columbine High School massacre apologized publicly.
"We're sorry for the pain and frustration we have caused him," Brian Rohrbough said in a newspaper interview Monday.
The parents of 15-year-old Daniel Rohrbough had filed a lawsuit alleging Sgt. Dan O'Shea shot their son during the confusion after Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold launched their attack on April 20, 1999. Twelve students, a teacher and the gunmen were killed.
But an independent investigation released last week blamed Harris in Rohrbough's death, and said O'Shea had not yet arrived at the school when Rohrbough was shot.
Brian Rohrbough had asked to apologize in person to O'Shea, but the officer declined, said O'Shea's lawyer, David Bruno. "Candidly, his perspective is that he was accused of wrongdoing in public, and the apology ought to also be in public," Bruno said.
Upon hearing that, Rohrbough made the apology in an interview with the Rocky Mountain News.
© 2002 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.