NEW YORK -- Law enforcers say 28 new indictments have been issued in New York as part of a sprawling Social Security disability fraud case.
According to The New York Times the defendants were expected to be brought to court on Tuesday.
Authorities said in January that a decades-long scam netted more than $20 million in Social Security disability payments.
They say recipients claimed they could barely care for themselves but were engaged in a wide range of activities that proved otherwise.
Prosecutors say many recipients were advised to link their supposed symptoms to 9/11.Last month, CBS News correspondent Jeff Glor reported that, according to the prosecution, Louis Hurtado was starring in instructional videos as a 6th-degree black belt, while telling the New York Police Department he was disabled with neck injuries and psychological problems. He is accused of taking $470,000 over 24 years.
Richard Cosentino allegedly received $207,000 while claiming he was too depressed to go outside after the attacks on 9/11.
Glenn Lieberman received $174,000. He was also too depressed to go outside.
Said New York Police Commissioner Bill Bratton: "As a New Yorker, as a U.S. citizen, I can only express disgust at the actions of the individuals involved in this scheme."