He says not only will you stay cool, but you'll also save time with these easy recipes for berry treats. And because berries are in peak season now, it's economical, too.
Parfait: An American parfait consists of ice cream layered with flavored syrups and whipped cream, then topped with chopped nuts and a maraschino cherry. A French parfait is a frozen custard with egg yolks, sugar, whipped cream and flavorings. Bobby is making his version of an American parfait.
Fool: According to the Food Lovers' Dictionary, England is the home of this old-fashioned dessert made of cooked, pureed fruit that is strained, chilled, and folded into whipped cream. The fruit mixture may be sweetened or not. Fool is traditionally made from gooseberries, though any fruit may be substituted. Flay's recipe calls for raspberries.
The following are his recipes:
Chocolate Angel Food & Raspberry Parfait
1 cup very cold heavy cream
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons best quality cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 store-bought chocolate angel food cake, cut into cubes
1/4 cup framboise
1 pint fresh raspberries
Grated bittersweet chocolate
- Using a hand-held mixer, beat together the cream, sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla until stiff peaks form; keep cold.
- Place a few cubes of the angel food cake in the bottom of 4 parfait glasses and drizzle with 1 teaspoon of framboise. Top with a few tablespoons of the chocolate cream, a few tablespoons of raspberries and grated chocolate. Repeat to make 4 layers ending with chocolate cream. Garnish with a few raspberries and grated chocolate.
Fresh Whipped Ricotta with Honey, Strawberries and Amaretti
2 cups fresh whole-milk ricotta cheese
3 tablespoons honey
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Amaretti cookies, coarsely crushed
- Blend ricotta, 2 tablespoons sugar, honey, and vanilla in processor until smooth. Transfer to bowl. Cover bowl and refrigerate until ricotta mixture is slightly set, about 2 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated. Stir before using.)
- Combine berries, lemon juice and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in large bowl; toss to coat. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature. Divide ricotta cream and strawberries among goblets and sprinkle with amaretti.
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, washed
1/4 cup dark rum
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup cold milk
3 scoops best quality vanilla ice cream
- Combine blueberries, rum and sugar in a bowl and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Place blueberries and their juice in a blender with the milk and ice cream. Blend until smooth. Pour into 2 large glasses.
Blackberry-White Chocolate Fool
4 cups fresh blackberries
1/4 cup sugar plus 3 tablespoons
1/4 cup cassis
1 cup very cold heavy cream
4 ounces white chocolate, melted
- Place berries in a large bowl, add 1/4 cup of sugar and 2 tablespoons of cassis; stir well and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Remove half of the berries and mash with fork until pureed. Strain the mixture into a bowl.
- Whip heavy cream, 3 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of the cassis in a large bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold in the white chocolate and strained puree and chill for 1 hour. Layer goblets with berry cream mixture and whole macerated berries. Garnish with mint.