crimesider

Missing 3-Year-Old Brian Kenney Now Safe with Father

Brian Kenney (National Center for Missing and Exploited Children)
NEW CASTLE, Del. (CBS/AP) Police say 3-year-old Brian Kenney, who was reportedly abducted at gunpoint from his father's home, is now safe and back with his father.

New Castle County police say the boy's mother, 24-year-old Ashlie Stumbers, disappeared from the home at the time of the abduction and police are unsure if she was involved in the kidnapping or not. She was found in Wilmington and was released from police custody.

The investigation is continuing, and there are no further details available on how Kenney was located and retrieved by police.

Police say the 24-year-old father was awakened early Tuesday by three gunmen beating him with the butt of a handgun. He told police he had been beaten unconscious, and when he awoke, the boy and the boy's mother were missing. He told police he believed Stumbers may have played a role in his son's abduction.

The child and his father were reunited Tuesday afternoon. Delaware State Police issued an Amber Alert for Brian and canceled it at 12:40 p.m. Tuesday.

The suspects remain unknown, but according to the Amber Alert one of the gunmen was white and the other two were black.

  • Kealan Oliver

Comments

Follow Us

Watch CBSN Live

Watch CBS News anytime, anywhere with the new 24/7 digital news network. Stream CBSN live or on demand for FREE on your TV, computer, tablet, or smartphone.