Key dates in President Hosni Mubarak's life.
- May 4, 1928 - Born in the Nile Delta village of Kafr el-Moseilha.
- April 1975 - Chosen by President Anwar Sadat to be vice president.
- Oct. 14, 1981 - Sworn in as Egypt's president following Sadat's assassination.
- June 1995 - Survives an assassination attempt while visiting Ethiopia.
- 2003 - Collapses during a speech to parliament, blamed on a combination of cold medication and fasting during Ramadan.
- 2004 - Undergoes a minor back operation in Germany.
- February 2005 - Orders constitutional amendments that pave the way for first-ever multi-candidate elections.
- September 2005 - Wins his first multi-candidate election. He was previously re-elected by popular referendum.
- March 6, 2010 - Undergoes gall bladder surgery in Germany, temporarily handing power to prime minister.
- Jan. 25, 2011 - Appoints his first vice president, Omar Suleiman, shortly after the Jan. 25 outbreak of protests.
- Feb. 1, 2011 - Promises not to seek re-election but says he will serve out the last months of his term and "die on Egyptian soil."
- Feb. 10, 2011 - State TV says President Mubarak will give a speech to the nation amid indications he'll step down.
© 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.