(CBS) ORLANDO, Fla. - Florida man Junior Alexander Guy, 49, has been getting nonstop angry calls and death threats since he received his first cell phone last month, reports the Orlando Sentinel.
It wasn't until day two when he realized why: He was given the phone number formerly used by George Zimmerman, the man charged with second-degree murder in the February shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.
Guy told the Orlando Sentinel that strangers would call him at all hours with messages such as "You murderer!" and "You deserve to die!"
He said T-Mobile gave him Zimmerman's old number, which the former neighborhood watch volunteer had to recite to a police dispatcher the night of the shooting, according to a taped recording. The recording has been widely circulated by news organizations and is available on the internet.
Guy estimated he received about 70 threatening calls since getting the phone on May 7. He has since moved and relocated his mother out of his house.
"I was not only afraid for my life, I was afraid for my mother's," he said.
On May 16, Guy gave the phone to his lawyer Robert Trimble and the phone has been sitting in Trimble's safe since.
Trimble said he asked T-Mobile to pay damages, a request that has been denied according to the company's lawyer Aram Meade.
Meade said the company offered to change the number on Thursday. Company spokesman Glenn Zacarra said the company has retired the number, and provided Guy an account credit and waived an early termination fee.