Mystic Seaport is just off I-95 on the Connecticut coast, about halfway between Boston and New York. Sailors can even reserve dock space at Mystic Seaport. General information on museum facilities and programs is available at the Mystic Seaport site.
Small Boat Weekend kicks off a long list of summer events at the Seaport.
- Next up is a Sea Music Festival, June 8 to 11. Musicians will perform from the decks of tall ships as well as in formal concert settings.
- An exhibit, "Voyages: Stories of America and the Sea," opens June 17. It is billed as the Seaport's most ambitious exhibit ever, highlighting the historic and contemporary elements of Americans' connection to oceans, rivers, and lakes.
- The annual Melville Marathon is set for July 31 to Aug.1. Moby Dick, the American classic about whaling, will be read over 24 hours onboard America's last surviving wooden whaling ship, the Charles W. Morgan.
In and around Mystic are many other diversions, from casinos to beaches:
- The Mystic Aquarium is about a mile from Mystic Seaport, right off I-95.
- Mystic isn't all museum. Downtown Mystic is on both sides of a drawbridge that crosses the Mystic River.
- For shopaholics, the area has Olde Mistick Village, a retail shopping center, and the Mystic Factory Outlet Stores.
- Foxwoods Resort Casino is about 20 minutes away by car. The casino is operated by the Mashantucket Pequots. A new museum and research center about the Pequots is now open there, too.
- Also nearby is the Mohegan Sun Casino, the only other casino in New England.
Other sources for the immediate area include Visit Mystic and Mystic Coast & Country.
The following sites cover attractions throughout New England:
The site visitconnecticut.com has extensive information on the region.
Or see Yankee Magazine's guide to the region.
Or scan b>Boston magazine's guide to New England.