Last Updated Jun 9, 2009 4:52 PM EDT
Also testifying was Tom Leprine, a News America exec responsible for pricing policy at the in-store/coupon agency.
Evidence from News America clients Heinz, Quaker, and Sara Lee was heard by the court in form of previously taken deposition testimony. The mere fact that News America's clients are being dragged into this plays to Valassis' advantage -- clients generally hate it when their agencies' problems become their problems.
BNET wishes there was more to report but Judge Michael Sapala has imposed a de facto media blackout on the case by banning cameras from his Detroit court. (The remaining Detroit media are tied up with a couple of minor matters regarding Chrysler and General Motors.)
Valassis' stock has been up recently and the company announced that it is now no longer threatened with delisting by NYSE. (A Morningstar analyst last December said Valassis' stock was worth $0.)
BNET is happy to hear from sources on either side of the case.
- See BNET's previous coverage of the in-store marketing wars:
- CVN Protests Camera Ban at Valassis v. News America Trial
- Valassis v. News America: Whistleblower Emmel's Prior Testimony Allowed In
- Cameras Banned at Valassis v. News America Trial; Whistleblower Emmel Also Ruled Out
- On Eve of Valassis vs. News America Trial in State Court, a Federal Judge Looks On --
- UPDATED: News America Marketing's Acquisition of Floorgraphics Not Big Enough to Show Up in Q1 Numbers
- Valassis Q1: Legal Bills Running at 22% of Profits; Hints of Layoffs?
- News America Marketing Sues Valassis Alleging Bogus Web Posts
- Valassis Accused of Using Hidden Identities in Online War With News America Marketing
- News America Marketing Forces Whistleblower Into Bankruptcy
- News America Marketing Whistleblower: Clients Were Charged for Ads That Never Appeared
- Was N.Y. Post's Carlucci the Reason for News America Marketing's Settlement With Floorgraphics?
- News America Marketing's Alleged Plans to Seize Safeway Account Outlined in Suit
- Valassis to Stick With "Majority" of Newspapers; Settles Fraser Billing Dispute
- Valassis, Insignia Stock Jumps on News America Marketing Group Settlement
- Valassis CEO Got Big Raise Despite Company's Losses
- News America Marketing Group Wins Summary Judgment Against Whistleblower Robert Emmel
- News America Marketing Group Buys Floorgraphics Just Hours After Settling Spying Lawsuit