FIVE CONSERVATIVE MYTHS....
You might choose others, but here's my list:
- A 30% national sales tax is a workable substitute for all income and payroll taxes in the United States.
- Global warming is not primarily caused by human activity. In fact, global warming might not even exist.
- Intelligent design is a viable scientific theory that ought to be taught in biology classes.
- Even with marginal tax rates at current levels, reducing taxes will increase revenues.
- Saddam Hussein was behind 9/11.
I would like to compile a similar list for liberals/Democrats. Items should be (a) reasonably consequential; (b) held by a nontrivial cross-section of actual politicians, think-tankers, and pundits, not just by a small lunatic fringe; and (c) not mere differences of opinion ("abortion is murder," "preventive war is bad"), but things that are demonstrably false. Leave your nominations in comments.