Curry catastrophe: Contest leads to mass vomiting

For many, having sex isn't just about having intercourse. In fact, most sexual encounters include several different activities. Maybe that's good news for women, who are more likely to climax when the evening's menu features a variety of sexual activities. iStockphoto

EDINBURGH, Scotland - Some like it hot, but contestants at a curry eating contest in Scotland collapsed in agony after biting off more than they could chew at a self-styled "world's hottest chili" competition.

One contestant was hospitalized twice, and others writhed in agony, panting and vomiting after sampling the "Kismot Killer" at a charity eating competition at the Kismot restaurant in Edinburgh on Saturday.

Owner Abdul Ali staged the event to raise money for a children's hospice. He has conceded he'll have to cool things down for next year, after the first 10 contestants became ill and a second group of 10 declined to take part.

Ali said the curry had caused nosebleeds in the past.

All participants signed a disclaimer before tucking in, and the restaurant had provided first aiders, but they were overwhelmed by the number of sick diners.

The Scottish Ambulance Service failed to see the funny side.

"We would urge the organizers to review the way this event is managed in future," it said in a statement.

Comments

CBSN Live

pop-out
Live Video

Watch CBSN Live

Watch CBS News anytime, anywhere with the new 24/7 digital news network. Stream CBSN live or on demand for FREE on your TV, computer, tablet, or smartphone.