Carbon monoxide leak kills 1 at New York mall

Legal Sea Foods at Walt Whitman Mall on New York's Long Island was evacuated after a carbon monoxide leak. CBS New York

NEW YORK – One person died and at least two dozen others were rushed to area hospitals for apparent carbon monoxide poisoning at a mall on Long Island Saturday evening, CBS New York reported.

A spokesperson for the Huntington Community First Aid Squad told 1010 WINS that an employee of the restaurant Legal Sea Foods at the Walt Whitman Mall in Huntington Station was killed by the odorless gas.

A total of 28 people were also rushed to area hospitals and treated for elevated levels of carbon monoxide.

An official at Huntington Hospital said 10 of those sickened were rushed there and that others were being triaged at the scene, 1010 WINS reported.

Suffolk County police have set up crime scene tape around Legal Sea Foods.

Several other restaurants were evacuated as a precaution, police said.

Comments

Watch CBSN Live

Watch CBS News anytime, anywhere with the new 24/7 digital news network. Stream CBSN live or on demand for FREE on your TV, computer, tablet, or smartphone.