(CBS/AP) KILLEEN, Texas - Police say AWOL Muslim soldier Pfc. Naser Abdo, who had applied for conscientious objector status, has admitted planning to launch another attack on Fort Hood with a bomb in a backpack and weapons stashed in a motel room where he was arrested Wednesday, about 3 miles from the Texas Army base.
A law enforcement official told CBS News that Abdo's questions about explosives and how to build them made a gun store employee suspicious. When police questioned Abdo at his motel, he made references to a plant to kill or injure people, the official said.
A Defense Department official told CNN that shotgun shells, a pressure cooker, 18 pounds of sugar, four gun magazines and ammunition were also found in the motel room.
Two people associated with Abdo have been questioned but not arrested, the official said.
Police were able to arrest Abdo on a pending child pornography charge. According to Killeen police spokeswoman Carroll Smith, Abdo was jailed Thursday after his arrest.
Abdo has been absent without leave since the weekend of July 4.
The 21-year-old infantry solider from Fort Campbell, Ky. cited religious beliefs as his reason in applying for conscientious objector status last year. A military review board recommended in June he be separated from the Army.
The discharge, however, was delayed because of the child pornography charge. Abdo said he thought he was charged with a crime because he sought to leave the Army.