Last Updated Feb 18, 2010 8:49 AM EST
Are you cut out for that life? This simple test may tell you all you need to know.
Developed by Babson College professor Daniel Isenberg, this 20-question quiz on HBR.org takes just a few minutes to complete. Here is a sample:
- I get an adrenaline rush from selling things.
- I have friends who run their own businesses.
- I don't like being told what to do by people who are less capable than I am.
- People get excited by my ideas.
- I always look for new and better ways to do things.
"All else being equal (and all else is rarely equal in the real world), on the average, people who set up their own businesses don't make more money, although a few do succeed in grabbing the brass ring. But the 'psychic benefits' -- the challenge, autonomy, recognition, excitement, and creativity -- make it all worthwhile.Take the test and come back here to tell us your next steps for opening your own business.