The hospitals on the list "have demonstrated superior clinical quality for the most consecutive years" from 2003 to 2008, states the report.
The list is based on Medicare data on mortality, in-hospital complications, and HealthGrades' Distinguished Hospital Award in clinical excellence. And the data specifically focus on 27 procedures and diagnoses, including heart attack, hip fracture, pneumonia, and stroke, but not cancer.
America's 50 Best Hospitals List for 2008
Here is the full list of the 50 best hospitals in the U.S. in alphabetical order, which is how they appear in HealthGrades' 2008 report.
- Akron General Medical Center in Akron, Ohio
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center in Elk Grove Village, Ill.
- Baptist Hospital East in Louisville, Ky.
- Bay Medical Center in Panama City, Fla.
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles
- Centura Health-Penrose St. Francis Health Services in Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Christ Hospital in Cincinnati
- CJW Medical Center -- Chippenham Campus in Richmond, Va.
- Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland
- Community Hospital in Munster, Ind.
- Deaconess Hospital in Cincinnati
- Delray Medical Center in Delray Beach, Fla.
- Easton Hospital in Easton, Pa.
- Evanston Northwestern Healthcare (including Highland Park Hospital) in Evanston, Ill. and Highland Park, Ill.
- Fairview Hospital in Cleveland
- Genesys Regional Medical Center in Grand Blanc, Mich.
- Glendale Memorial Hospital and Health Center in Glendale, Calif.
- Good Samaritan Hospital in Los Angeles
- Hackensack University Medical Center in Hackensack, N.J.
- Hamot Medical Center in Erie, Pa.
- Henrico Doctors' Hospital (including Henrico Doctors' Hospital-Parham) in Richmond, Va.
- Hillcrest Hospital in Mayfield Heights, Ohio
- Holms Regional Medical Center in Melbourne, Fla.
- Holy Cross Hospital in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
- Inova Fairfax Hospital in Falls Church, Va.
- Jewish Hospital (including St. Mary and St. Elizabeth Hospital) in Louisville, Ky.
- Lancaster General Hospital in Lancaster, Pa.
- Lawnwood Regional Medical Center & Heart Institute in Fort Pierce, Fla.
- Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown, Pa.
- Main Line Hospitals -- Lankenau in Wynnewood, Pa.
- Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix
- Memorial Healthcare System in Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Mercy Hospital Scranton in Scranton, Pa.
- Mission Hospitals (including St. Joseph's Hospital) in Asheville, N.C.
- Munroe Regional Medical Center in Ocala, Fla.
- Munson Medical Center in Traverse City, Mich.
- Ocala Regional Medical Center in Ocala, Fla.
- Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center in Palm Beach Garden, Fla.
- Rio Grande Regional Hospital in McAllen, Texas
- Rush North Shore Medical Center in Skokie, Ill.
- St. Joseph's Hospital of Atlanta
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital in Sarasota, Fla.
- Southwest General Health Center in Middleburg Heights, Ohio
- St. Elizabeth Medical Center -- South in Edgewood, Ky.
- St. John's Hospital Health Center in Santa Monica, Calif.
- St. Luke's Hospital in Chesterfield, Mo.
- St. Luke's Hospital (including St. Luke's Hospital -- Allentown campus) in Bethlehem, Pa. and Allentown, Pa.
- St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, Minn.
- Summa Health Systems Hospitals in Akron, Ohio
- William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Mich.
Veerans Affairs and military hospitals weren't eligible for the list.
By Miranda Hitti
Reviewed by Louise Chang
©2005-2006 WebMD, Inc. All rights reserved