A fourth soldier was seriously wounded in the ambush in the volatile southern Helmand province, which was the deadliest single incident for British forces since first deploying to Afghanistan in late 2001, according to the British Ministry of Defense in London.
The British military initially reported that two soldiers had been killed and a third unaccounted for but presumed dead following an ambush on at least two British vehicles patrolling in volatile Helmand province.
Lt. Col. Kevin Stratford Wright, spokesman for the British Helmand Task Force, later confirmed that the body of the missing soldier had been found by troops searching the barren desert region for him. A fourth was seriously wounded and evacuated to a military hospital in Helmand.
The militants fired rocket-propelled grenades and heavy machine guns at the soldiers, part of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force in Helmand, where nearly 4,000 British troops are deployed.
One vehicle was destroyed in the attack, but it was not immediately clear if the four soldiers were traveling in the same vehicle, another British official said on condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the information.
"Within the British headquarters we stood in a minute of silence as a mark of respect of those who have died," Wright said. "But we won't just sit here and let the Taliban have the initiative. Wherever they are, they are not going to be safe from us."
Afghan officials reported heavy fighting in Helmand's Musa Qala district started early Tuesday, but had no further information.
The attack came a day after the NATO force, led by a British general, took command of the south from the U.S.-led coalition, with a mission to stabilize a region wracked by a Taliban-led insurgency and the drugs trade.
At least nine British soldiers have now been killed since they started deploying to Helmand in March as part of an 8,000-strong NATO-led force in the south, also including Canadian, Dutch and American troops. Sixteen British troops have died in all since 2001.
NATO's mission is considered the most dangerous and challenging in the Western alliance's 57-year history. It coincides with the deadliest upsurge in fighting in Afghanistan since late 2001 that has killed more than 800 people, mostly militants, since May.
Meanwhile, Afghan and U.S.-led coalition forces early Tuesday arrested four suspected al Qaeda operatives in eastern Khost province.
The four did not resist arrest in the raid launched near Sewakay village, a coalition statement said. No details were given on the suspects' nationalities. The coalition accused them of coordinating the smuggling of explosives into Afghanistan and planning attacks against Afghan and coalition forces in the country's east.
With NATO taking charge in the south, the coalition, first deployed nearly five years ago to unseat the Taliban regime for harboring Osama bin Laden, now is focusing on eastern Afghanistan, where al Qaeda and the Taliban are active.
In Helmand, police arrested two Afghans suspected of al Qaeda links in the provincial capital of Lashkar Gah on Monday night, said Helmand police chief Ghulam Nabi Malakhel. Documents seized from the men showed they were associated with the terror group, he said without elaborating.