A key step in getting college financial aid

(MoneyWatch) If you are planning to apply for financial aid for the coming school year, mark January 1 on your calendar, listen up.

Every year on January 1 the federal government unveils what's known as Free Application for Federal Student Aid, otherwise known as the FAFSA. You need to complete the form if you plan to seek need-based aid and/or you expect to borrow through federal college loans.

If this is the first time you will be applying for financial aid, you can get a head start by obtaining a FAFSA PIN. You will need this four-digit number to electronically sign the FAFSA and to access your financial aid records. Both you and your child will need a PIN.

Here is where you can obtain your FAFSA PIN. You can also go to this website if you possess a PIN, but have forgotten it. If you have questions about the PIN or the FAFSA, call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at (800) 4-FED-AID.

While you are at it, I'd also suggest that you get a head's up on what's ahead when you tackle the FAFSA. You can do this by downloading and printing a copy of the FAFSA worksheet.

The FAFSA worksheet for the next school year isn't available yet, but you can obtain a copy of the worksheet for 2012-13, which shouldn't be much different. If you know what questions you will be asked and what documents you will need, the FAFSA can be nearly painless.

The all new
CBS News App for Android® for iPad® for iPhone®
Fully redesigned. Featuring CBSN, 24/7 live news. Get the App