Fire department issues warning about kids getting burned by garden hoses left in the sun

Las Vegas emergency officials are warning parents about a summertime risk to children in hot climates. Two years ago, a baby in Las Vegas was scalded by burning water that came from a garden hose that had been left sitting out in the sun. Knowing this could be a recurrent danger as the weather warms, Las Vegas Fire & Rescue issued a fresh warning about the risk Tuesday.

Officials posted a photo of the scalded child, who suffered blistering burns on his back and arms. The incident happened in 2016, KPHO-TV reported, when 9-month-old Nicholas Woodger suffered second-degree burns on 30 percent of his body.  His mother, Dominique Woodger, said she was filling up a kiddie pool and accidentally sprayed the boy when she turned on the hose, the station reported.

Hoping to prevent this type of accident from happening again, the fire department warned: "Here in Las Vegas, a garden hose exposed to direct sunlight during summer can heat the water inside the hose (not flowing) to 130-140 degrees which can cause burns especially to children & animals."

The fire department recommends letting the water flow from the hose for a few minutes so it cools off before spraying on people or animals.


Editor's Note: This story has been updated to reflect that the injury to the child happened in 2016.

U.S.

More U.S.

Politics

More Politics

World

More World

Entertainment

More Entertainment

Technology

More Technology

Science

More Science

Health

More Health

MoneyWatch

More MoneyWatch

Crime

More Crime

Space

More Space

Latest Galleries

More Latest Galleries

Popular

More Popular
More in Popular

We and our partners use cookies to understand how you use our site, improve your experience and serve you personalized content and advertising. Read about how we use cookies in our cookie policy and how you can control them by clicking Manage Settings. By continuing to use this site, you accept these cookies.