Mike Gillislee Says He's '100 Percent' After Returning To Practice
BOSTON (CBS) -- With LeGarrette Blount departing the Patriots in free agency this offseason, newcomer Mike Gillislee figured to be the Patriots' choice to shoulder the rushing load in 2017.
Yet a nagging hamstring issue kept Gillislee from stepping into his new role for the majority of training camp and for both of the preseason games. That was, until Tuesday.
Gillislee practiced with the Patriots on Tuesday and said afterwards that he's 100 percent healthy now.
???? Mike Gillislee @mikescogilly coming back from a hamstring injury not wearing a red no-contact shirt at #Patriots practice today #WBZ pic.twitter.com/NNjqJR6zCY
— Joe Giza (@JoeGiza) August 22, 2017
After a hamstring injury, Mike Gillislee says he's good now. Felt good to return to practice. "I was 100%" pic.twitter.com/L8OPYQrJuJ
— Mark Daniels (@MarkDanielsPJ) August 22, 2017
RB Mike Gillislee says he was a full participant in practice today. Has been limited the last two weeks with hamstring. pic.twitter.com/V3U2EXgBoz
— Mike Reiss (@MikeReiss) August 22, 2017
Mike Gillislee was a full go today. Hadn't participated in practice since Aug. 1. Said he got MRI on hamstring and everything was fine.
— Kevin Duffy (@KevinRDuffy) August 22, 2017
The Patriots acquired Gillislee by making an offer sheet for the restricted free agent. The Bills chose to not match the offer, thus making Gillislee a Patriot.
The 26-year-old rushed for 577 yards and eight touchdowns on 101 rushes last year for Buffalo, and in his career he's averaged 5.6 yards per carry. The Patriots added Gillislee and Rex Burkhead in the offseason to help make up for the 300-plus touches (and 1,100-plus yards and 18 touchdowns) left by Blount.