Man convicted in murder of volunteer firefighter Jon Hickey granted postponed sentencing

Man convicted in murder of volunteer firefighter Jon Hickey granted postponed sentencing

BALTIMORE -- The man convicted in the 2017 killing of a volunteer fireman was supposed to be sentenced Monday, but a judge instead postponed it after granting last-second motions.

Daniel Greene was arrested in December 2017 in connection to the death of Jon Hickey. 

Daniel Greene

MORE: Man found guilty of killing volunteer firefighter Jon Hickey

Baltimore Police found Hickey shot in the head in his Upper Fells Point home.

A jury convicted Greene in June on first-degree murder, home invasion and other firearms charges.

Right before his sentencing, Greene's attorney Warren Brown told the judge Greene wanted to seek new legal counsel, as well as ask for a postponement.

RELATED: Police ID Suspect Arrested For Murder Of Local Firefighter In Fells Point

Greene said he and Brown have reached an "impasse," and that new evidence has come to light that makes his case "not a closed matter."

Despite a state prosecutor arguing the jury's decision should be respected, the judge sided with Greene, saying, "I want to do this right for everyone."

Ever since his death, Hickey's family and friends have wanted justice. When the judge made his decision, several at the hearing immediately got emotional.

Some even got into a back-and-forth with Greene's parents.

"You are disgusting," one of them said. "[Greene] gets what he wants again."

Outside the courthouse, his mother, Kimberly Hickey, told WJZ she was blindsided by what happened.

"I'd love to know what kind of evidence he thinks he's coming up with because everything was shown in court. It's a video showing him breaking into my son's home," Kimberly Hickey said.

Hickey was one of several who were ready to read victim statements in court.

"Jon would fill our crews, that's what [Greene] did, he took away from the community. [Jon] would be our fourth on the engine, you need four to fight fire," said friend Scott Amigh. "Jon was always there for us."

Kimberly Hickey and Amigh said they'll be ready to read their statements at the next hearing, which they hope is the last in this yearslong case.

"I really need to have this ending, after five years I need closure and this should've been it," Kimberly Hickey said.

This case will reconvene in November.

Read more

We and our partners use cookies to understand how you use our site, improve your experience and serve you personalized content and advertising. Read about how we use cookies in our cookie policy and how you can control them by clicking Manage Settings. By continuing to use this site, you accept these cookies.