Ratko Mladic war crimes, genocide trial halted over prosecution errors

In this video image taken from ICTY video former Bosnian Serb military commander Gen. Ratko Mladic is seen on the second day of his trial at the Yugoslav war crimes tribunal in The Hague, Netherlands, May 17, 2012. Pool,AP Photo/ICTY video

(AP) THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The presiding judge in the U.N. trial of Gen. Ratko Mladic has delayed indefinitely the presentation of evidence that had been scheduled to start later this month due to "errors" by prosecutors in disclosing evidence to defense lawyers.

Alphons Orie said Thursday he was delaying the Yugoslav war crimes tribunal case due to "significant disclosure errors" by prosecutors who are obliged to share all their evidence with Mladic's defense team.

He says judges are still analyzing the "scope and full impact" of the error.

Mladic fumes at start of war crimes trial
Angry Mladic booted from Hague arraignment
Defiant Mladic calls genocide charges "obnoxious"

He says he aims to establish a new starting date "as soon as possible."

Prosecutors already had admitted the errors and did not object to a delay in the trial. Mladic's attorney has asked for a six-month delay.

Comments