3rd Arrest Reported In Fla. Beatings

Thomas S. Daugherty, 17, is escorted nto the Juvenile Assessment Facility, Sunday, Jan. 15, 2006, in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Daugherty and Brian Hooks, 18, will face murder charges in the death of one homeless man and aggravated battery charges in the beating of another. (AP Photo/The South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Anastasia Walsh Infanzon) ** MAGS OUT ** AP

A judge Monday ordered a psychological examination for one of two teens arrested in the fatal beating of a homeless man and a second beating that was videotaped by a surveillance camera.

Family members and their attorneys negotiated the Sunday surrender of Brian Hooks, 18, and Thomas S. Daugherty, 17, who had fled the state. Police say they face murder charges in the death of Norris Gaynor, 45, and aggravated battery charges in the videotaped beating of Jacques Pierre, 58.

According to the Miami Herald, a third suspect was arrested late Monday and charged with one count of aggravated battery. William Ammons, 18, is reportedly accused of involvement in one of the attacks but not the fatal one. He is scheduled to appear in court Tuesday.

The investigation could widen, according to Fort Lauderdale Police Capt. Michael Gregory.

"We are reviewing every shred of evidence we can that may link these subjects and others to any other assaults that have occurred on homeless in this area," said Gregory.

Funeral services for Norris Gaynor, which will be open to the public, are being held at noon Tuesday at the Forest Lawn Gardens in Fort Lauderdale.

Gaynor's parents, Samuel and Georgia Gaynor of Pensacola, arrived in town for the funeral full of grief and questions about the attack that took their son's life.

"How could somebody do something like this? I'd just like to know what they were feeling," said Mrs. Gaynor, in an interview with Shomari Stone of CBS News Station WFOR-TV. "I ache, I ache, my heart aches – this is my oldest son and I loved him very much."

The Gaynors describe their son as a wanderer, who suffered from depression.

Asked about his reaction when he first saw the video of what turned out to be the attack on his son, Samuel Gaynor said: "I didn't see Norris. I just thought that it seemed like a vicious attack, and they were really going for someone's head."

The Gaynors also say they want both suspects to be charged as adults.

At a hearing Monday, Circuit Judge Steven P. DeLuca ordered Daugherty to be held for 21 days in juvenile custody and to undergo a psychological examination. DeLuca denied a request from Daugherty's attorney, Jerry Williams, for home detention.

Prosecutors have not yet decided whether to charge Daugherty as a juvenile or an adult.

A hearing for Hooks was delayed until Tuesday. Because he is 18, he was charged as an adult. His attorney, Jeremy Kroll, said the charges "do not appropriately reflect Brian's responsibility. ... When all the facts come to light, it will be evident that Brian's involvement is far more limited than has been speculated."

CBS News correspondent Trish Regan reports the arrests have been a shock to friends and neighbors of Hooks and Daughtery, who come from the same quiet neighborhood in Fort Lauderdale.

"The fact that it involved a murder, I mean, I don't think they have any idea what they've done," said Lynn Burgess, a neighbor.

"The father and son always went fishing together," said Lori Gross, who works at the elementary school that Hooks attended. "They're just a good all-around family."

Authorities had said they received more than 100 tips after photos and video were shown nationwide of the attack on Pierre early Thursday on the Fort Lauderdale campus of Florida Atlantic University. They showed two males chasing and beating the homeless man with what appeared to be baseball bats. He had been sleeping on a bench.

"The video was critical in getting the word out," Gregory said.

Gaynor was killed a few blocks away from where Pierre was attacked. Authorities say he died from severe head injuries.

Authorities say they are investigating whether the suspects in custody were involved in the beating of a third man, 49-year-old Raymond Perez. That case remains under investigation.

All three beatings took place on Thursday, beginning at about 1 a.m.

There were 105 attacks on the homeless in 2004, including 25 deaths, according to the Washington, D.C.-based National Coalition for the Homeless. The majority of attackers were young men between the ages of 16 and 25.
  • Stephen Smith

    Stephen Smith is a senior editor for CBSNews.com

Comments

CBSN Live

pop-out
Live Video

Watch CBSN Live

Watch CBS News anytime, anywhere with the new 24/7 digital news network. Stream CBSN live or on demand for FREE on your TV, computer, tablet, or smartphone.