Last Updated Sep 8, 2010 2:19 PM EDT
My previous post "Seven Rules for Keeping Motivated" has turned out to be one the most popular I've ever posted. So I'm going to share a little more of the wisdom of Omar Periu, one of the world's best known motivational speakers. According to our conversation, here are ten ways that he keeps himself motivated:
- Condition your mind. Train yourself to think positive thoughts.
- Condition your body.
It takes physical energy to take action.
- Avoid negative people. Don't take anything that they say seriously.
- Always remain flexible.
No plan should be cast in concrete.
- Act with a higher purpose.
If it doesn't serve your goal, it's wasted effort.
- Take responsibility for your own results.
Don't credit luck, good or bad.
- Stretch past your limits on a daily basis. That's how you grow and evolve.
- Don't wait for perfection; do it now!
Perfection's the enemy of good enough.
- Be careful of what you eat.
It takes physical energy to succeed.
- Hang around motivated people. The positive energy will rub off on you.
Note: while I was energizing myself in this way, I was propelled to do something that I'd been putting off for years. A phone call and two emails later and I had resold the rights to one of my out-of-print books. I'll now end up with about $10,000 in additional royalties for writing I did nearly 20 years ago -- all because I motivated myself to do a little extra.
I'll bet there are some calls that you could make -- but aren't -- or connections you could develop -- but aren't, all for the lack of a little extra motivation. If you'll take this list seriously, and make living it into part of your daily routine, I can practically guarantee that you'll quickly push your career -- and your ability to sell -- up to the next level.
Motivation is the ultimate root of success. Especially in sales.
To get even more pumped up, try: