For more information about Mensa, or to apply for membership, call (800) 66-Mensa or visit www.us.mensa.org.
1. Sheilah is now two-thirds of Sally's age. In six years, Sheilah will be four-fifths of Sally's age. In 15 years, she will be seven-eighths as old as sister Sally. If they are both under the age of ten, how old are they now?
2. Pat likes books but not magazines, she likes going to shows but not the ballet, and she likes movies but not pictures. By the same rules, will she like videos or tapes?
3. Palindrome: By a small stretch of the imagination, what could you call a flying carpet used by an esteemed leader or wise man?
4. Rachel has three times a many brothers as she has sisters. But, each of her brothers had two more brothers than he has sisters. If there are no more than ten children in the family, how many boys and girls are there?
5. What one word can mean "endure," "an animal" and "carry."
6. Bill went out to buy some fishing equipment. He spent half of what he had, plus $5, at the first store. At the second, he spent half of what was left plus $4, and at the third store, he spent half of the remainder plus $3. He then had $5 left to put aside for bait. How much money did he start with?
7. Find the word that fits the first definition, then add an "S" in front of it to make a new word that matches the second definition.
Place an "S" in front of a metal container and get a word meaning to glance at. Place an "S" in front of a pixie and get a form of reference.
8. Match the lists of characters with the famous books in which they appear.
1. The Doormouse, The Mad Hatter, The Red Queen
2. Becky Thatcher, Injun Joe, Aunt Polly
3 Porthos, Athos, Aramis, D'Artagnan
4. Agnes Wakefield, Barkis
a. "David Copperfield"
b. "Alice in Wonderland"
c. "Tom Sawyer"
d. "Three Musketeers"
9. Start with the number of lives a cat reputedly has, multiply by the number of stitches saved by a stitch in time and add ten.
10. The names of two girls are hidden in the sentence below. Can you find them? (The letters are in consecutive order.)
"Can new ways be found to speed nations toward peace?"
How did you do? Get the Answers.
© MMI Viacom Internet Services Inc. All Rights Reserved. Questions provided courtesy of Mensa