Michigan lotto winner charged with welfare fraud

In this photo provided by the Michigan Lottery, Amanda Clayton holds her $1 million lottery check. AP Photo/Courtesy Michigan Lottery via Detroit news

(CBS/AP) LINCOLN PARK, Mich. - A Michigan woman who continued to get food stamps after winning a $1 million lottery jackpot has been charged with welfare fraud.

The Michigan attorney general's office announced two felony charges Tuesday against 25-year-old Amanda Clayton of Lincoln Park. She was arrested Monday and was expected to be arraigned Tuesday in Lincoln Park's 25th District Court. The charges are punishable by up to four years in prison.

Clayton chose a $700,000 lump sum, before taxes, last fall after winning the jackpot on "Make Me Rich!" a Michigan lottery game show.

The case came to light last month. She told Detroit TV station WDIV at the time that she thought it might have been OK to keep using food stamps because she wasn't working.

She was dropped from the food program.

$1M lotto winner cut from food assistance

Clayton, who bought a new home and a car with her winnings, has said she feels entitled to the welfare handout, CBS Detroit reports.

"I thought that they would cut me off, but since they didn't, I thought maybe it was okay because I'm not working ... I feel that it's okay because I mean, I have no income and I have bills to pay. I have two houses ... It's just hard, you know. I'm struggling," she told WDIV.

Comments

CBSN Live

pop-out
Live Video

Watch CBSN Live

Watch CBS News anytime, anywhere with the new 24/7 digital news network. Stream CBSN live or on demand for FREE on your TV, computer, tablet, or smartphone.