Chef Will Gilson is no stranger to accolades.
Gilson was a semi-finalist for Rising Star Chef of the Year, and his restaurant, Puritan & Company, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, was a semi-finalist for best new restaurant.
Gilson's farm-to-table cooking style emerged early on when he apprenticed with chef Charles Graghi at Marcuccio's when he was only 15 and later worked at his father's farm and restaurant.
Gilson joined "CBS This Morning: Saturday" for his ultimate dish, grilled spring lamb chops.
Grilled Spring Lamb Chops with Herb and Lemon Marinade
2 lbs boneless lamb leg
For the marinade
1 bunch flat parsley, cleaned, dried, picked from the stems and chopped rough
1 bunch tarragon, cleaned, dried, picked from the stems and chopped rough
1 bunch scallions
Zest of 2 lemons
2 garlic cloves
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 whole lemon
1 bulb fennel, shaved thinly
1) Slice the lamb leg into 1/4-in. slices. Place the slices between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a mallet to make them about 1/8-in. thin.
2) Place all of the ingredients for the marinade in a blender and puree until smooth. Place the cutlets in the marinade and let sit for a minimum of 6 hours and up to 24 hours.
3) Remove the cutlets from the marinade and season lightly with salt and pepper. Place the cutlets on a heated grill and cook them on both sides for around 1-2 minutes or until just cooked through medium.
4) Serve with a squeeze of lemon and some shaved fennel.
Crispy Smashed Fingerling Potatoes with Garlic and Thyme
Ingredients for potatoes
2 pounds baby or fingerling potatoes
1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra as needed
Ingredients for dressing
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon chopped or sliced garlic
2 lemons, zested
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the potatoes
1) Put the potatoes in a large stockpot with enough cold water to cover by at least 2 inches. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
2) Drain the potatoes in a colander and allow to dry and slightly cool for 5 minutes. Using the palm of your hand, gently press the potatoes until lightly smashed.
3) Heat a cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add the potatoes and 1 tablespoon oil and cook, without stirring, until the bottoms turn golden brown, about 5 to 8 minutes.
4) Using a spatula, turn the potatoes over and cook, drizzling with oil, if needed, until golden brown on the other side for another 5 to 8 minutes. Repeat in more batches until all the potatoes are crispy and cooked.
For the dressing
1) In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, garlic, parsley, thyme and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
2) Spoon the dressing over the potatoes and toss gently until coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
3) Transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl and serve warm.
Grilled Broccoli Rabe with Yogurt and Toasted Spices
1 bunch broccoli rabe, tough, thick lower stems removed
Extra-virgin olive oil
Pinch aleppo chili flake
1/2 cup thick greek yogurt
1 tablespoon cumin seed
1 tablespoon fennel seed
1 tablespoon coriander seed
1) Immerse the broccoli rabe in water and let soak for 10 minutes. Preheat a grill to medium.
2) Remove the broccoli rabe from the water but DO NOT shake off the excess. Toss with some olive oil, salt and chili flake and lay in an even single layer on the grill.
3) Cook until the rabe starts to lightly char and become tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side. If it starts to char a little too quickly, drizzle or spray a few drops of water on it.
4) Remove from the grill and toss in a bowl with the yogurt.
5) In a heavy bottomed sauté pan, toast the spices over medium heat shaking the pan constantly until the spices begin to give off their aroma.
6) Transfer the spices to a spice mill, mortar and pestle or food processor and grind them roughly. Place the rabe on a serving plate and sprinkle with as much of the spice mix as you would like.
Boston Crème Doughnut
Ingredients for the dough
1036 g. all purpose flour
20 g. instant dry yeast
148 g. sugar
18 g. vanilla
18 g. salt
424 g. milk
222 g. eggs
100 g. softened butter
1) Combine all ingredients and mix in a stand mixer on lowest speed for about 5 minutes.
2) Let the dough rest in the mixer for 5 minutes.
3) Mix on lowest speed for 15 min more, then empty the dough into a greased container with a lid and refrigerate overnight.
4) Roll out the dough to 1/2-in. thick and punch out circles with a 3 in. ring cutter.
5) Proof for 1 hour at room temp, then fry in 350 degree oil until golden-brown on both sides and fluffy.
Ingredients for pastry cream
2 cups whole milk
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 vanilla bean, scraped
Pinch of salt
3 egg yolks
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1) Dampen the surface and sides of a cookie sheet.
2) Line the bottom and sides of the sheet with plastic wrap. Have more plastic wrap at the ready and set aside.
3) In a medium saucepan, combine milk, 1/2 cup sugar, the seeds and pod of the vanilla bean and salt. Slowly bring to a low boil over medium heat.
4) As the milk mixture heats up: In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch and set aside.
5) Stabilize a medium sized bowl by placing it on top of a wet cotton towel on the counter top. Add the yolks and egg.
6) Whisk for 30 seconds, until the yolks are broken up and the mixture begins to look homogeneous. Add the starch mixture and whisk until you can no longer see any clumps, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
7) When the milk mixture comes to a low boil, remove it from the heat. Remove the pod of the vanilla bean. Temper the egg mixture with the hot liquid in three additions, whisking briskly as you go.
8) Return the mixture to the original saucepan and whisk vigorously over medium heat. After about a minute, the mixture will begin to thicken.
9) Continue to whisk, and watch for bubbling. Once you see bubbles, whisk for two additional minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the butter until it completely disappears into the pastry cream.
10) Pour the pastry cream into the prepared lined pan. Immediately press plastic wrap gently over the entire surface. Chill for at least 2 hours before using.
11) Whip the pastry cream mixture until it is smooth and creamy just before using.
Ingredients for chocolate ganache
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup whole milk, warmed
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1) Combine butter, milk, corn syrup and vanilla in medium saucepan and heat over medium heat until butter is melted.
2) Decrease the heat to low, add the chocolate and whisk until melted. Turn off heat, add the powdered sugar and whisk until smooth. Place the mixture over a bowl of warm water.
3) Using a pastry bag or plastic squeeze bottle, pipe the pastry cream into the doughnuts. Dip each doughnut in the glaze and allow glaze to set for 30 minutes before serving.
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
1 small eggplant, cubed
2 red bell peppers, coarsely chopped
2 large tomatoes, blanched, peeled and coarsely chopped
3 to 4 small zucchini or summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 tablespoon of fresh chopped basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or marjoram
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1) In a 4-quart saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
2) Add garlic and onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 6 to 7 minutes.
3) Add eggplant; stir until coated with oil. Add peppers; stir to combine.
4) Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep vegetables from sticking.
5) Add tomatoes, zucchini and herbs; mix well.
6) Cover and cook over low heat about 15 minutes, or until eggplant is tender but not too soft.
The Farmer's Son
1 oz Pimm's Cup No. 1
1 oz vodka
1/2 oz Yellow Chartreuse
1/2 oz lemon juice
3 slices cucumber
1) Muddle cucumber with lemon juice.
2) Add remaining ingredients, then ice. Shake.
3) Double strain into a chilled rocks glass.
4) Garnish with cucumber wheel.