Last Updated Apr 26, 2011 1:50 PM EDT
Caitlin has always managed to get by with just a debit card so she has been throwing all this credit card junk mail away. I told her, however, that she should obtain a credit card to help her establish a credit history.
Credit card laws have been toughened for college students in an effort to cut down on marketing abuses on college campuses. Consequently, there are probably a lot of students like my daughter who are graduating without any plastic.
Just in time for graduation, however, I'm passing along a list that CardRatings.com says represents the best credit cards for new college grads. CardRatings.com is an extremely popular website that provides consumer news on credit cards, as well as reviews.
Here are the editors' picks for the best credit cards for new college grads:
Discover Open Road CardBest card for college grads on the move
- 0% APR teaser rate.
- 1% cash back on all purchases
- Gas and restaurant bonuses plus a $75 restaurant.com gift card for a limited time
Sony Card from Capital OneBest cards for college grads furnishing a first apartment
- Up to 10 months with 0% APR
- Electronics and entertainment rewards
- Bonus points on Sony purchases
Citi Forward CardBest credit cards for grads who love movies and dining out
- Bonus reward points to use at restaurants, movie theaters and bookstores
- Up to a two percent APR reduction for on-time bill pay
- Extra bonus points for paperless statement sign-up
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit CardBest credit cards for college grads heading off to see the world
- No foreign transaction fees
- Miles earned on every purchase that don't expire
- Miles can be used on any airline with no blackout dates
Credit card image by SimonQ. CC 2.0.
More on CBS MoneyWatch:Student Credit Cards Can Give Your Kids a Financial Education
Higher One: The Next College Campus Rip-Off?
Top 25 College Twitterers to Follow
5 Ways to Boost Your Financial Aid Award