Peak tomato season is approaching, so what better time to check out the wide variety of fresh tomatoes available, and get some delicious recipes?
Gourmet magazine Executive Editor John Willoughby stopped by The Early Show Tuesday with here with both.
Among the varieties he pointed to were plum tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, and red and yellow tomatoes.
Broiled Bluefish with Tomato and Herbs
2 lb. Bluefish or Spanish mackerel fillets with skin on
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
3 medium tomatoes (3/4 lb total), cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
1. Pre-heat boiler. Line rack of broiler pan with foil.
2. Put fish skin sides down on foil and sprinkle with pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
3. Whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, dill, and chives in a small bowl.
4. Spread evenly over fish, then cover with tomato slices, overlapping slightly, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
5. Broil fish 3 to 4 inches from heat until just cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.
Copyright 2006 CBS. All rights reserved.