While other kids were collecting toys and action figures, Jesse Schenker, executive chef and owner of Recette in New York City's West V illage, was busy collecting menus and cook books.
Special Section: Food and Wine
Schenker graduated with a culinary degree from the Atlantic Technical Center in Coconut Creek, Florida and after working in several top restaurants in Florida and Las Vegas, Schenker moved to New York City and was offered the position as Chef De Partie at the two-Michelin-star rated Gordon Ramsay at the London.
After a stint at Gordon Ramsay, Schenker opened his own restaurant, Recette, in 2010. Both the restaurant and Schenker received rave reviews and in 2011 he became a James Beard award semi-finalist for best new restaurant. He is one of Forbes' "30 under 30" in the food & wine industry, Details Magazine named him one of "America's Best Young Chefs," Zagat honored him as one of their "30 hottest chefs under 30" and he was named 2011 New York rising star chef by star Chefs.com.
Schenker joins "CBS This Morning: Saturday" with his ultimate dish of roasted shrimp with fennel, white beans and beet greens, as well as a few others.
Roasted Shrimp with fennel, white beans and beet greens
3 lbs, U10 Jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 cans of white beans, reserve liquid
2 bulbs fennel, sliced thinly and reserve fronds
2 bunches red beet greens, julienned
1 large Spanish onion, julienned
1 Jalapeno, seeded and julienned
1 garlic clove, chopped
Juice and zest of two lemons
2 T cilantro, chopped
2 T chives, chopped
1 cup olive oil
Salt + Pepper to taste
1. Sautee onions and garlic in 2 T olive oil for three minutes until translucent, add white beans with liquid. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
2. Add the juice of 1 lemon and zest of 2 lemons (remainder of juice is for fennel). Cook for 2 minutes and season with salt and pepper.
3. Before turning off the heat, fold in jalapeno, chives and cilantro. Place on serving platter and set aside.
4. In large cast iron pan or on grill, heat to high.
5. Season shrimp with salt and pepper and brush with olive oil.
6. Cook on high heat 1 minute per side. Remove shrimp and place in a separate bowl then toss with shaved fennel, beet greens and remainder of lemon and olive oil.
7. Place mixture on serving platter and garnish with fennel fronds.
Roasted chicken stuffed with oranges, kumquats and mint
1 large organic chicken
1 cup kumquats, halved
1 bunch mint, chopped
1 large orange, halved
Salt + pepper to taste
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper inside and out.
2. Stuff chicken with kumquats, orange and mint.
3. Place on roasting pan with drip tray underneath.
4. Cook at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes per pound until golden brown.
5. Let rest and carve.
Glazed spring vegetables
2 bunches white asparagus, peeled and chopped
1 head broccoli, cut down to small florets
1 head cauliflower, cut down to small florets
3 large golden beets, peeled and small diced
1 lb baby carrots
1 Spanish onion
1 clove garlic
1 bunch fresh tarragon
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons chopped chives
1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1. Peel, clean and cut all vegetables into 1 inch x 1 inch pieces.
2. In large pot, bring salted water to a boil.
3. Individually blanch each vegetable until fork tender (carrots will take longer than broccoli; beets will take longest).
4. Once blanched, shock all vegetables in ice water (to retain vibrant color and stop cooking).
5. Drain on paper towels and dry well.
6. Heat butter and olive oil in sauce pot to medium heat.
7. Place vegetables in pot and stir quickly for two minutes until vegetables are glazed.
8. Add tarragon and season with salt to taste.
9. Finish with fresh herbs.
3 lbs fava beans, shucked and blanched
3 lbs spring peas, shucked and blanched
1 bunch, green asparagus, peeled, blanched and chopped
1 bunch, white asparagus, peeled, blanched and chopped
3 bunches, spring garlic, julienned
2 bunches, watercress
5 T Olive Oil
2 T Vinegar
1. In a large pot, heat 5 T olive oil.
2. Sweat spring garlic for two minutes and add 2 T Sherry vinegar.
3. Fold all blanched spring vegetables and watercress into pot and stir.
4. After one minute, turn off heat and add 2 T chopped mint. Season to taste and serve.
Greek Yogurt with berries and honey
4 cups Greek yogurt
2 pints raspberries
2 pints blackberries
2 pints strawberries, diced
1/2 cup good quality honey
Combine in a bowl and enjoy!
Kumquat Old Fashioned
3 Kumquats, poached
3 dashes of Angostura Bitters
4 Brandie Cherries
1 cube, brown sugar
1/2 oz. sweet vermouth
1 1/2 oz. Bulleit Bourbon
Splash, club Soda
1 cup, ice
1. In a mixer, add kumquats, brandied cherries, sugar and bitters. Muddle well.
2. Pour sweet vermouth and bourbon and shake.
3. Pour into rocks glass and top off with club soda