Number of missing in Washington mudslide changes again

EVERETT, Wash. - The number of people listed as missing after the deadly March 22 Washington state mudslide has dropped from 15 to 13 on the latest list provided by the Snohomish County sheriff's office.

The death toll from the Oso mudslide remains at 30, but the Snohomish County medical examiner's office has released the name of one more victim.

The office said 75-year-old Jerry Halstead of Arlington died of multiple blunt force injuries. The 28th victim to be publicly identified, he had been on the missing list.

The medical examiner's office said Friday afternoon that it was withholding the name of a 29th victim until relatives were notified.

A call to the sheriff's office for clarification on the reason for removal of a second name from the missing list was not immediately returned.

Meanwhile, the recovery effort continues at Oso, where a steep hillside gave way March 22 and roared across the North Fork of the Stillaguamish River, burying the riverfront community in mud, trees and debris.


The all new
CBS News App for Android® for iPad® for iPhone®
Fully redesigned. Featuring CBSN, 24/7 live news. Get the App