By Bobby Flay
The soups on Mesa Grill's menu change with the seasons, but one thing they all have in common is that they are inspired by the flavorful ingredients of the Southwest.
One of my favorite soups is truly a fall classic - Pumpkin Soup with Cinnamon Crema and Roasted Pumpkin Seeds. The heat from the chipotles adds that something special that makes this recipe anything but ordinary.
Mesa Grill's Pumpkin Soup with Cinnamon Crème and Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
4 cups enriched chicken stock or low sodium canned chicken broth or vegetable broth
3 cups pumpkin puree (not flavored pie filling)
1 teaspoon ground Mexican cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons chipotle puree
3/4 cup crème fraiche
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Roasted pumpkin seeds (recipe below)
1. Bring 3 cups of the stock to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Whisk in the pumpkin puree, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, honey and chipotle puree. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more stock, if the soup is too thick.
2. Remove from the heat and whisk in 1/4 cup of the crème fraiche and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Mix together the remaining crème fraiche and 1 teaspoon cinnamon until combined.
4. Ladle the soup into four bowls; drizzle with the cinnamon crema and sprinkle with roasted pumpkin seeds.
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Makes 1 cup
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350º F.
2. Toss the seeds with the oil and season with salt to taste. Spread the seeds evenly on a baking sheets and bake for 25-30 minutes, tossing occasionally, until they are lightly golden brown and crisp. Let cool. Can be made 2 days in advance and stored in an airtight container.
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay, from "Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook: Explosive Flavors From the Southwestern Kitchen" by Bobby Flay (Clarkson Potter)
© 2010 by Bobby Flay. Used with permission
Copyright 2010 CBS. All rights reserved.