From CBS News' John Bentley:
RICHMOND, VA. -- John McCain told a small crowd of fundraisers that Barack Obama "has obviously not accepted" his invitation to a town hall meeting in New York City on Thursday. McCain made the remarks at the first fundraiser that his campaign has opened to the media.
Last week, McCain challenged Obama to a series of 10 town hall meetings between Thursday and the Democratic National Convention, although both campaigns say the details are still being worked out.
Around 50 well-heeled guests – who had paid or raised $10,000 each – milled around in a small conference room munching on hors d'oeuvres and drinking coffee and soft drinks before the main luncheon began. John and Cindy McCain shook hands and chatted with the guests before leaving the smaller gathering to give his usual stump speech to about 250 donors at the lunch event.
One member of the audience asked McCain how his vice-president search was going. McCain replied he was using Google to narrow down his options. "What you can find out now on the internet, it's remarkable," he joked.
He was introduced by former Secretary of State under George H.W. Bush Lawrence Eagleburger, who said he was wrong about the surge not working, and McCain was right. "The reason it worked is the man standing right there," Eagleburger said.