Gore Accuser Asked Tabloid to Show Her The Money: $1 Million

Al Gore at the UN Climate summit in Copenhagen, Denmark in 2009. (AP Photo/Anja Niedringhaus)

PORTLAND, Ore. (CBS/AP)  The Oregon massage therapist who accused former Vice President Al Gore of "unwanted sexual contact" in 2006 reportedly did want the National Enquirer to hand over a cool $1 million for telling her story.

Barry Levine, executive editor of the Enquirer, told The Washington Post that the tabloid conducted a brief interview with the masseuse, but "no money exchanged hands" for the story published this week.

The red-haired masseuse claims Gore, who was in Portland as part of a global warming speaking tour, attempted to sexually assault her during a massage at the posh downtown Hotel Lucia on Oct. 24 2006. In late 2006 the woman's attorney contacted police, but she then refused to answer questions from detectives and asked to halt the investigation. No charges were filed.

A 2007 police report said the accuser refused to cooperate with the investigation or report a crime.

However, in January 2009 the woman - who remains unidentified - gave a statement to police saying Gore attempted to have sex with her during an appointment at the swanky hotel, where she said Gore was listed as "Mr. Stone."

According to her statement, the 54-year-old woman said she was doing requested abdominal massage on Gore when he began to moan and requested that she go lower.

"I was shocked, and I did not massage beyond what is considered a safe, nonsexual area of the abdomen," she said. "He further insisted and acted angry, becoming verbally sharp and loud." 

She claims she didn't immediately report the incident to police because she didn't want to be turned "into a public spectacle."

Portland police say after the case was reopened more than two years later they determined there was still insufficient evidence to support the allegations.

Portland police spokesperson Detective Mary Wheat said that earlier this month the woman had asked police for a copy of her statement, and said she planned to take her case to the media.


June 24, 2010 - Al Gore Sexual Harrassment Claim Dropped for Insufficient Evidence

The all new
CBS News App for Android® for iPad® for iPhone®
Fully redesigned. Featuring CBSN, 24/7 live news. Get the App