So Chef Waldy Malouf, as he takes the Chef on a Shoestring challenge, decided to create an entire meal based on what he could buy at the Green Market. You will be surprised by the number of dishes you can create on a $40 budget.
Chef Malouf takes a break from his new restaurant, Waldy's Wood-Fired Pizza and Penne, to visit The Saturday Early Show. (Malouf also heads the kitchen at New York's Beacon Restaurant.)
Page 1: Chilled Yellow Tomato Soup
Page 2: Sweet Tomatoes and Bocconcini Salad and Crisp Penne with Ricotta
Page 3: Smoky Corn Succotash; Roasted Tomatoes and Herbs; and Peaches with Balsamic Vinegar.
The following are his recipes:
Chilled Yellow Tomato Soup
For the soup:
4 large yellow tomatoes
1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt, plus additional to taste
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon powdered cumin seed
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the cilantro-onion relish:
1 medium red tomato, seeded and diced
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon minced jalapeno
Coarse sea salt or kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Core and roughly chop the tomatoes, reserving their juices. Heat the tablespoon of oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until they are translucent, about three minutes. Do not let them brown. (If they start to color, add a tablespoon of water.)
- Add the cumin powder to the pot, cook for an additional 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and their liquid, and 1 1/2 cups of water. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt.
- Bring the tomato mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the soup cool slightly. Puree the soup either with an immersion blender, or in batches in a blender or food processor. Strain through a coarse sieve and discard the solids.
- Chill the soup until cold, at least 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a non-reactive bowl, stir together all the ingredients for the cilantro-onion relish.
- Season soup with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Serve garnished with a spoonful of the cilantro-onion relish. Serve any remaining relish with chips or pita.