Chile Lawmaker: Mine Collapse Warning Ignored

Workers from the San Jose mine protest for back pay and higher salaries in Copiapo, Chile, Tuesday Oct. 19, 2010. The San Jose mine is inoperable following the cave-in that trapped 33 miners for 69 days and its owners have declared bankruptcy. The sign at top left reads in Spanish "All 300 are not well Pinera, walk through this block of Copiapo miners," referring to Chile's President Sebastian Pinera. (AP Photo/Martin Mejia) AP Photo

A Chilean legislative commission is investigating reports that mining operators ignored danger warnings from a man who was later among 33 later trapped when a mine collapsed.

Special Section: Chile Mine Collapse

Deputy Carlos Vilches, a commission member, said Tuesday that miner Juan Illanes has alleged that operators refused his request to leave the mine three hours before it collapsed on Aug. 5. Illanes reportedly had heard loud sounds that indicated a collapse could be brewing.

Vilches spoke at the opening of a public exhibit of the capsule used in last week's rescue of the miners after 69 days underground, an achievement that served as a rallying point of national pride. The exhibit in the plaza outside Chile's presidential palace is drawing hundreds of people.

More Chile Mine Coverage

Chilean Miner "Super Mario": Prankster, Leader
Chile Miners Go From World Fame to Humble Homes
With Mine Rescue, Chile Sets Sight on 1st World
Miners Go "From One Strange World to Another"
Miners' Fistfights, Despair During Ordeal

Vilches represents Copiapo, the community closest to the San Jose Mine where the collapse occurred. He said he would call Illanes and other miners to testify before the commission about conditions at the mine.

Another worker, Gino Cortez, lost his leg in a smaller collapse inside the San Jose Mine in July.

The mining company's owners and supervisors of the mining operation are under investigation in connection with the earlier accident.

A spokesperson for the San Esteban mining company that owns the mine said the firm would have no comment pending possible legal proceedings.

"It's simply incredible that even in the face of the miners' warnings, measures were not taken to prevent the accident, and to ensure that they were not in the mine when the collapse occurred," said Interior Minister Rodrigo Hinzpeter.

The minister oversaw a ceremony opening the exhibit of the Phoenix 2 capsule, which was used to rescue the men. Government employees could view the capsule up close, and even pose next to it for photographs, but the public had to view it from several yards (meters) away.

Painted in the red, white and blue of the Chilean flag, the capsule showed only a few scratches from its multiple trips down and up a tight tunnel to extract the 33 men and their six rescuers.

At least two cities are vying to become the permanent home for that capsule. One is Copiapo, about 50 miles west of the mine. The other is Talcahuano, 1,300 miles south, where officials feel entitled to it because the capsules were built there at a Chilean navy workshop.

Hinzpeter has suggested it will probably end up at a mining museum.

Three capsules were assigned for the rescue operation, but only two were used. They were named for the mythological bird reborn from the ashes. The other two capsules were not used but are also to be displayed. One has already been sent to China, where it will be exhibited at the Chilean Pavilion at Expo Shanghai.

Meanwhile, some the rescued miners began enjoying some of the multiple trips and other gifts they have been given, including $10,000 each from a wealthy businessman.
  • CBSNews

Comments

CBSN Live

pop-out
Live Video

Watch CBSN Live

Watch CBS News anytime, anywhere with the new 24/7 digital news network. Stream CBSN live or on demand for FREE on your TV, computer, tablet, or smartphone.