crimesider

Boston Marathon Bombings: Possible suspect ID'd through video images of attack

Lu Lingzi, a 23-year-old student from Shenyang, China, and a graduate student at Boston University, was identified as the third victim killed in the bombing attack at the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013. Facebook

Medical workers aid injured people at the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon following two explosions set off by bombs in Boston, Monday, April 15, 2013.
AP Photo/Charles Krupa

(CBS/AP) BOSTON - Investigators have identified a possible suspect in connection with the Boston Marathon bombings, CBS News Senior Correspondent John Miller reports.

PICTURES: Boston bombing victims

PICTURES: Explosions near Boston Marathon finish line

Authorities have been collecting photos and videos from surveillance cameras and other digital media since the twin bombings Monday that killed three people and wounded more than 170 others

"There is one individual in particular that they are most interested in and what they believe is it is possible that have collected an image of the bomber around the time the device was placed," Miller said.

Boston Mayor Tom Menino reportedly told CBS Boston that investigators are "very close" to identifying a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings.

The Boston Globe reports that authorities have an image of a suspect carrying and possibly dropping a black bag at the second blast site on Boylston Street.

"We live in a world where when we're out in public there is no reasonable expectation of privacy," CBS News Correspondent John Miller said. "I think somebody who does something like this understands that that comes with the territory"

According to the paper, a surveillance video at Lord & Taylor, located across the street from the site of the explosion, has provided authorities with clear video of the area. It is unclear if the suspect's image was captured on that camera.

"The camera from Lord & Taylor is the best source of video so far," said Dot Joyce, a spokeswoman for Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino, according to the paper. "All I know is that they are making progress."

The blasts killed 8-year-old Martin Richard, of Boston, and 29-year-old Krystle Campbell, of Medford. The Shenyang Evening News, a state-run Chinese newspaper, identified the third victim as Lu Lingzi. She was a graduate student at Boston University.

No one has claimed responsibility for the Boston attack.

Authorities planned to brief the media on the progress of the investigation at 5 p.m. today.

Complete coverage of Boston Marathon bombings on Crimesider

  • Crimesider Staff

Comments

Follow Us