The all new
CBS News App for Android® for iPad® for iPhone®
Fully redesigned. Featuring CBSN, 24/7 live news. Get the App

Allies pound Qaddafi's defenses, down plane

BENGHAZI, Libya - Fighter jets hit aircraft and a crossroads military base deep inside Libya on Thursday, and NATO appeared poised to assume command of the international operation that is working to thwart Muammar Qaddafi's forces by land, sea and air. A senior Pentagon official said the U.S. would likely continue flying combat missions.

France, meanwhile, set a timeframe on the international action at days or weeks — not months.

According to the French ministry of defense, a Libyan warplane was violating the no-fly zone. The French patrol carried out an air-to-ground hit with an air-to-surface missile as the warplane from Qaddafi's forces landed at the military base at Misrata.

The possibility of a looming deadline raised pressure on rebel forces. So did the arms embargo, which keeps both Qaddafi and his outgunned opposition from getting more weapons. The rebels were so strapped Thursday that they handed out sneakers — and not guns — at one of their checkpoints.

"We are facing cannons, T-72 and T-92 tanks, so what do we need? We need anti-tank weapons, things like that," said Col. Ahmed Omar Bani, a military spokesman told reporters in Benghazi, the de facto rebel capital. "We are preparing our army now. Before there was no army, from now there is an idea to prepare a new army with new armaments and new morals."

Libya's air force grounded by coalition strikes
Complete coverage: Anger in the Arab World
Key questions unanswered for U.S. in Libya

The Qaddafi regime appeared equally hard-pressed, asking international forces to spare its broadcast and communications infrastructure.

"Communications, whether by phones or other uses, are civilian and for the good of the Libyan nation to help us provide information, knowledge and coordinate everyday life. If these civilian targets are hit, it will make life harder for millions of civilians around Libya," Moussa Ibrahim, a government spokesman, told reporters in Tripoli.

Libyan crisis: Latest developments

French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said the international action would last days or possibly weeks, but not months. But he told RTL radio that in addition to protecting civilians, the mission "is also about putting Qaddafi's opponents, who are fighting for democracy and freedom, in a situation of taking back the advantage."

Libyan state television showed blackened and mangled bodies that it said were victims of airstrikes in Tripoli. Rebels have accused Qaddafi's forces of taking bodies from the morgue and pretending they are civilian casualties.

A U.S. intelligence report on March 21, the day after coalition missiles attacked Qaddafi's Bab al-Aziziya compound in the capitol, said that a senior Qaddafi aide was told to take bodies from a morgue and place them at the scene of the bomb damage, to be displayed for visiting journalists. A senior U.S. defense official revealed the contents of the intelligence report on condition of anonymity because it was classified secret.

The French strikes hit a base about 155 miles south of the Libyan coastline, as well as a Libyan combat plane that had just landed outside the strategic city of Misrata, France's military said.

In Tripoli, Libyan deputy foreign minister Khaled Kaim said that the "military compound at Juffra" was among the targets hit. Juffra is one of at least two air bases deep in Libya's interior, on main routes that lead from neighboring countries in the Sahara region that have been suppliers of arms and fighters for the Qaddafi regime.

The town of Sabha, about 385 miles south of Tripoli, has another air base and international airport and is a major transit point for the ethnic Tuareg fighters from Mali and Niger who have fought for Qaddafi for the past two decades. Malian officials say hundreds of Tuareg men have left to fight in Libya against the recent uprising.

Abdel-Rahman Barkuli, a Libyan in exile originally from Sabha, said communications with his family there were abruptly cut on Wednesday night and heavy security is preventing residents from moving in or out.

He said residents in Sabha reported airstrikes before dawn: two targeted radars and one targeted a military camp. The airstrikes apparently bypassed a mountain facility that stores ammunition and heavy weaponry for the Qaddafi regime.

"Thank God they didn't bomb the mountain because it would be a disaster" for the civilians living nearby, he said.

Barkuli said members of two anti-Qaddafi tribes in the city were rounded up early in the protests that began Feb. 15. "No one knows anything about their whereabouts," he said.

U.N. human rights experts said hundreds of people have disappeared in Libya over the past few months, and said there were fears that those who vanished were taken to secret locations to be tortured or executed.

The disappeared were "mainly people who called for demonstrations and who opposed publicly the regime," one of the independent experts, Olivier de Frouville, told The Associated Press.

Luis Moreno-Ocampo, the International Criminal Court's prosecutor, said he was "100 percent" certain that his investigation into attacks on Libyan protesters will lead to crimes against humanity charges against the Qaddafi regime.

Vice Adm. Rinaldo Veri, the commander of the NATO naval blockade, said the effort was "closing the main front door" to weapons and mercenaries for Qaddafi. He said NATO sailors were prepared to board any suspect ships that don't voluntarily submit to inspections.

"If they should find resistance, the use of force is necessary," he said, noting that the Security Council had mandated all means necessary to enforce the embargo.

The U.N. Security Council authorized the embargo and no-fly zone to protect Libyan civilians after Qaddafi launched attacks against anti-government protesters who wanted him to leave after 42 years in power. But rebel advances have foundered, and the two sides have been at stalemate in key cities such as Misrata and Ajdabiya, the gateway to the opposition's eastern stronghold.

Ajdabiya has been under siege for more than a week, with the rebels holding the city center but facing relentless shelling from government troops positioned on the outskirts.

Mohammed Ali, 56, who was among people fleeing Thursday, drove out with his family. "They've cut everything — the electricity, the water. It's getting worse and worse inside."