Ahhh, the warm summer months. The sun is shining, your vacation time is near and... the kids are out of school. Yes, it's true. Summer vacation is upon us. Your kids have begun their rigorous summer routine of sleeping in, video gaming, eating and sleeping some more. But you and your family work too hard to let the summer just pass you by. Make this summer bigger and better than any summer before!
We are so lucky to live in the Tampa Bay area. From the sandy beaches of St. Pete to the eclectic streets of downtown Tampa, there is something for everyone in this beautiful area. Take advantage of it! This summer, peruse our list of family activities and avoid the summer boredom plague.
Spend a Little
1. A Rays Game | Rays games are great for the whole family. There's beer for dad, baseball players in tight pants for mom and game time activities for the kids. A Rays game is the perfect way to get out of the sun because Tropicana Field in an INDOOR stadium! Tickets start at just $15 AND CW44 is giving tickets away every Monday (details).
2. MOSI | MOSI is the place to be this summer. They have an endless number of hands on exhibits that the whole family can enjoy. Their 3D printing exhibit is now open and is FREE with MOSI admission. Tap into your more daring side on their new Sky Trail® Ropes Course & Zip Line. Their summer calendar is packed with activities! General admission is:
- Adults (13-59): $22.95
- Seniors (60+): $20.95
- Children (2-12): $18.95
3. The Pirate Ship | Sailing out of John's Pass, The Pirate Ship offers swashbuckling adventures fit for the whole family. It all begins with their two level pirate ship! Don't worry, there is a bathroom on board. They even have a bar with FREE soft drinks, beer and wine! On your cruise, you can expect music, a dance party, water gun battles, treasure hunts, limbo, face painting, dolphin watching and more! Admission is:
- Seniors (65 &up) – $30
- Adults (21 & 64) – $35
- Kids (2-20) – $25
- Itty Bitties (Under 2) – $10
4. Kids Day | Kids Day is a FREE day of fun! Get in touch with nature at the Petting Zoo or the Clearwater Aquarium's Marine Touch Tank. Get in the zone with the Tampa Bay Rowdies and Tampa Bay Storm, or hang out with Thunderbug from the Tampa Bay Lightning. You can perform experiments with the Mad Scientist from MOSI, or maybe catch a glimpse of an Anime character from Metrocon. Meet Calum Worthy who plays Dez on the Disney Channel show Austin and Alley. All this and so much more for FREE!
5. Picnic Island | A day at Picnic Island is like a day on vacation. Located in Port Tampa, Picnic Island encompasses 7.8 acres of sandy beach access. Enjoy a day on the beach, go canoeing, picnicing, fishing from the pier or escape and explore Picnic Island Bayou. You can rent a shelter, do some cooking on the grills and take your schooner for a spin off of their boat ramp.
Don't fall victim to the boredom monster. Enjoy Tampa Bay and try one (or all) of these summertime activities!
Vanessa Rao | CW44 Tampa Bay
for more features.