With more than 11 years of experience, Pittsburgh native Amy Wadas is an Emmy-nominated reporter and fill-in anchor at KDKA.
She's also won several Golden Quill Awards over the years and has been a finalist for many.
Amy joined KDKA as a reporter in July 2014 and is thrilled to be home! She's covers everything from crime, to breaking news, weather, court, local government, enterprise, investigative, features and human-interest stories. She loves the adrenaline she gets from breaking news and weather coverage. Amy will never forget the story she covered about a bride who was walked down the aisle on her wedding day by the man who received her father's donated heart. This story made national news and aired on many local affiliates across the country.
Amy has covered several notable stories in Pittsburgh including the Wilkinsburg mass shooting trial in its entirety, the fatal Antwon Rose II officer-involved shooting in East Pittsburgh and the many protests that followed, the Tree of Life Synagogue shooting that killed 11 people and the massive train derailment that left part of Station Square shut down for days during the clean-up process. Amy has appeared on CBS News' 24/7 live streaming news network during the coverage of some of these events. You can also catch Amy filling in on the anchor desk from time to time.
Before KDKA, Amy was a Multimedia Journalist/Reporter at WCPO, the ABC affiliate in Cincinnati, Ohio. In Cincinnati, Amy covered crime, local government, breaking news, human interest stories and features for the evening newscasts. She also provided local angles to many national stories, such as the Aurora, Colo. movie theater shooting, the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, the selection of Pope Francis, the Boston Marathon bombings, the three Cleveland captives, the Moore, Okla. tornado devastation and the 2013 deadly Colorado floods.
Prior to Cincinnati, Amy was an anchor, reporter and producer at WTRF, the CBS, ABC and FOX affiliate in the Wheeling, West Virginia/Steubenville, Ohio, market. While there, she produced the 5 and 6 p.m. newscasts before being promoted to anchor/reporter. After her promotion, Amy anchored and produced the noon newscast and submitted reports for the evening newscasts. She also filled-in as an anchor for the 10 and 11 p.m. news.
Before working in television, Amy covered news in Pittsburgh for Examiner.com. She extensively covered the 2009 LA Fitness shooting in Collier Township where a gunman killed three women, injured many others then turned the gun on himself. She also worked for an advertising and public relations firm in Pittsburgh.
Amy is a graduate of Penn State University and went to Chartiers Valley High School. A television and media production class in high school is where her love of broadcasting started.
Amy also interned at KDKA during college!
In addition to news, Amy is passionate about traveling and the outdoors. She loves to hike, ski, kayak, paddle board and camp. She also enjoys working out, cooking and spending time with family, friends and her Siberian husky Juneau and her cats Simba and Ozzie. She is also an experienced figure skater.
- Joined KDKA: July 2014
- Hometown: Pittsburgh
- Alma Mater: Chartiers Valley High School and Penn State University
- Music: Electronic dance music, 80s music and some pop
- Movie: I love several. I don't have a specific one.
- TV Show: "The Bachelor"& "The Bachelorette"
- Book: I don't have a favorite one either. I love to read all kinds.
- Hobbies: Traveling, anything outdoors, working out and cooking
- Sports Team: Penn State Nittany Lions Football
- Food: Mexican and Italian
- Local Restaurant: Sienna Mercato
- Hidden PA Gem: Montour Trail
- Sport/Exercise: Stand up paddle boarding
- Historical Figure: Mother Teresa
- Favorite Pennsylvanian: Taylor Swift
- Quote: "Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." -Les Brown
- Word: Positive
- Vacation Spot: I love the gulf coast of Florida and Seattle.
- Holiday: Christmas
- Guilty Pleasure: Reality TV
- Planet: Earth
THIS OR THAT
- Facebook or Twitter? Facebook
- Cats or Dogs? Both
- Beatles or Rolling Stones? Rolling Stones
- Comedy or Tearjerker? Comedy
- Phone Call or Text Message? Phone call
- Mac or PC? PC
- Coffee or Tea? Coffee
- Paper or Plastic? In regards to what?
- Morning Person or Night Person? Night Person
- East Coast or West Coast? West Coast
- Star Trek or Star Wars? Star Trek
for more features.