Last Updated Jun 11, 2008 10:00 AM EDT
If you've been wondering why it's so hard to get the boss to let you blog, Twitter and podcast all day, here's a survey that might help you understand it: the "Resistance to Social Media Survey" conducted by the USC Marshall School of Business.
Some of the findings:
- Only 29 percent of the respondents think blogs are a useful business communication tool for improving image or productivity
- Only 11 percent rated their organization as "significantly above industry average" in their rate of online media adoption, with 49 percent rating themselves "significantly below"
- 28 percent reported significant "corporate/management resistance to the use of the following new media tools/technologies"
- And here's the kicker: the most important reasons hindering online technology adoption include:
- Lack of basic understanding
- Corporate liability concerns
- Cost/staff issues
- Network security