Watch CBSN Live

Sonics Squeak By Grizzlies

Vin Baker's last second magic is back.

The Seattle forward tipped in Detlef Schrempf's miss with a half second left Tuesday in the SuperSonics' 87-85 victory over the Vancouver Grizzlies.

Baker had game-winning shots in three games for the Sonics last season. He equaled a season-high with 31 points and made 13-of-19 shots as the Sonics won their third straight and handed the Grizzlies their 13th straight loss.

"I'm not really creative with my left hand but it happened to be at the right place with the ball," Baker said.

Related Links

Game summary

More NBA coverage:

  • Free Agent Frenzy
  • NBA scoreboard
  • Join NBA Forum
  • Exclusive NBA audio

  • Baker's heroics and some tough defense down the stretch saved the Sonics from a potentially diasterous loss to the Grizzlies. Even coach Paul Westphal struggled to explain how his Sonics (12-9) beat the Grizzlies.

    "We lost our point guard, got killed on the boards. I'm not sure how we ended up winning that game," Westphal said.

    Baker scored six of Seattle's last 10 points and had two baskets in the last 2:14 as the Sonics overcame an 83-77 deficit and beat Vancouver for the 11th straight time.

    The Sonics were without Gary Payton the last 15:11 because he was ejected for his second technical foul with 3:49 left in the third quarter. He finished with 12 points and five assists and five turnovers in 26 minutes.

    Shareef Abdur-Rahim had 21 points and 11 rebounds for Vancouver. Bryant Reeves also had 21 points. Mike Bibby added 15 for Vancouver.

    "We should have had the win," Bibby said. "That's the hardest we've played in a while. They got the lucky tip."

    Dale Ellis had 14 for the Sonics. Drew Barry replaced Payton and had five points and five assists.

    Bibby's basket tied the game at 85-85 with 15.7 seconds left. The Sonics set up Schrempf for the last shot. He missed but Baker was there for the winning follow.

    The Grizzlies had a six-point lead but couldn't hol it as they remain winless in Seattle.

    After trailing by six, the Sonics went on an 8-0 run for an 85-83 lead with 36.4 seconds left on Baker's dunk. Bibby's basket tied the game for the 10th and final time.

    J.R. Henderson's layup gave the Grizzlies a 69-65 lead after three quarters.

    Payton was ejected with 3:49 left in the third quarter when he was whistled for his second technical foul when he and Felipe Lopez were called for double technicals.

    Bibby controlled play in the third quarter. His lob pass led to a Lopez dunk. He stole the ball from Hersey Hawkins and dunked. Then he hit a 3-point shot as the shot clock expired and connected on three of four free throws to give the Grizzlies a 55-51 lead with 6:47 in the third period.

    After scoring four points in a loss at Denver Monday night, Reeves dominated inside in the first half. He had 19 points and seven rebounds. The Grizzlies led 45-43 at halftime.

    Reeves was 9-for-17 from the floor in the first half. Sonics had eight turnovers in the first half as they tried to beat the Sonics for the first time in Seattle. Notes: The Grizzlies last victory was over the Los Angeles Lakers on February 23. ... The Grizzlies have allowed 101.3 points per game, 28th in the league. ... Polynice equaled his average of nine rebounds per game in the first half. ... Ellis continues his torrid shooting from 3-point range. He has made 3-pointers in eight consecutive games and has made 23 of his last 39 3-point attempts.

    ©1999 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

    View CBS News In