SAN FRANCISCO - Samsung says it’s halting sales of the Galaxy Note 7 smartphone after a spate of fires involving “safe” replacements.
U.S. regulators ordered a recall of the original Note 7, a huge phone-bordering-on-tablet with a huge battery, in late September after the devices demonstrated an unwelcome tendency to catch fire. Now, following reports that the company’s replacement versions have also overheated or caught fire, Samsung had said it’s “temporarily adjusting” Note 7 production to “ensure quality and safety matters.”
But later on Monday, the company went further, saying in a press statement: “We are working with relevant regulatory bodies to investigate the recently reported cases involving the Galaxy Note7. Because consumers’ safety remains our top priority, Samsung will ask all carrier and retail partners globally to stop sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note7 while the investigation is taking place.”
It also recommended that “Consumers with either an original Galaxy Note7 or replacement Galaxy Note7 device should power down and stop using the device and take advantage of the remedies available.”
Owners of Galaxy Note 7s can also review this article, which explain what you can do if you’re among that group.
The announcement follows several new incidents of overheating last week and deals a further blow to the world’s largest smartphone company. U.S. consumer safety officials said they’re investigating five incidents of fire or overheating since the company announced a recall last month.
Leading wireless carriers have already said they would stop distributing new Note 7 phones as replacements for the earlier recall.