Rutgers' LeGrand Hospitalized with High Fever

Rutgers head coach Greg Schiano leans over defensive tackle Eric LeGrand (52) as personnel prepare to take him from the field after colliding with Army's Malcolm Brown (23) as he tried to make the tackle during the second half of a football game Saturday, Oct. 16, 2010, in East Rutherford, N.J. Rutgers won 23-20 in overtime. (AP Photo/Mel Evans)
AP Photo/Mel Evans
Paralyzed Rutgers football player Eric LeGrand has been hospitalized with a high fever.

Hours after being admitted to Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation in West Orange, N.J., Rutgers says the 20-year-old LeGrand was moved to St. Barnabas Medical Center late Wednesday with a high fever.

The university says LeGrand of Avenel, N.J., will remain at the hospital in Livingston, N.J., until he is able to return to Kessler.

Pictures: Paralyzed Rutgers Player Eric LeGrand

Rutgers said any updates on LeGrand's condition would be issued by the family through the school.

The junior defensive tackle was paralyzed from the neck down on Oct. 16 making a tackle on a kickoff return against Army.

LeGrand had surgery and was treated at Hackensack University Medical Center before being transferred to Kessler for the next phase of his treatment.

Dr. Barth Green, a neurosurgeon and chairman of The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis at the University of Miami, said LeGrand having a fever is not unexpected.

"High fevers in someone in his reported condition are very common," Green said on Thursday in an e-mail sent to The Associated Press. "In addition, pneumonia, urinary tract infections and deep vein thrombosis are also complications that often come up, and I am sure they are assessing for all three."

Scarlet Knights coach Greg Schiano said in a conference call on Thursday that LeGrand was able to watch Rutgers 28-27 loss to South Florida on Wednesday night. However, he never said anything about him being hospitalized again.

LeGrand's mother, Karen, has said after he was transferred to Kessler on Wednesday that her son was in good spirits and was anxious to take the next step in his rehabilitation.

Rutgers has lost two straight games since LeGrand was paralyzed.