Ricky Coley, suspected Mich. cop shooter, committed suicide during 20-hour standoff, officials say

Exterior view of the home of a former auto executive in West Bloomfield Township, Mich., Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2012 where police officer Pat O'Rourke was killed Sunday. Authorities say 50-year-old Ricky Coley fired on police, killing O'Rourke and precipitating a 20-hour armed standoff that ended Monday with Coley dead in his bedroom.
AP Photo/Corey Williams
Exterior view of the home of Ricky Coley.
AP Photo/Corey Williams

(CBS/AP) WEST BLOOMFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. - Ricky Coley, the suspected gunman who gunned down a 12-year police veteran, ended the 20-hour standoff between police at his suburban Detroit home by killing himself in an apparent suicide, officials said Tuesday.

Officers were visiting the West Bloomfield Township home responding to a report of a possible suicide attempt Sunday night when Coley shot police officer Pat O'Rourke, authorities said. About 15 families were evacuated from nearby homes during the subsequent standoff that ended when Coley was found dead in his bed Monday evening.

Coley killed himself with a gunshot to the mouth, according to Dr. Cheryl Loewe of the Oakland County medical examiner's office in a report released Tuesday.

Sheriff Michael Bouchard told reporters Tuesday that Coley, a military veteran, had "a fully automatic Uzi" in addition to high-powered rifles, handguns, knives, a bullet-resistant vest and protective goggles.

"It appeared to be just a battle mindset," Bouchard said. "He had the firepower. He had barricaded windows and covered doors. And the way he was firing - probably because part of his military background - he knew the best way to fire and not be spotted by a sniper."

Coley, 50, was recently divorced and ordered to leave the home by Monday. He also faced financial and legal turmoil, including a lawsuit from federal authorities accusing him of mishandling employee's insurance funds. West Bloomfield Township police said they were called to Coley's home about a month ago because he was reportedly suicidal.

Coley owned CNC Holdings, a private equity firm that bought 51 percent interest in Translogic Auto Carriers in 2008. Translogic hauled new vehicles from automakers to dealerships.

The U.S. Labor Department recently filed a lawsuit accusing Coley of mishandling money meant to cover employee insurance. The lawsuit says Coley also transferred $342,000 from Translogic to himself or his affiliates.

Business partner Lyn Tetreau, who owned the other 49 percent of Translogic, said the lawusit was just one factor in Coley's troubles.

"I don't believe what has taken place with Coley was based on his life at Translogic," Tetreau said. "I think he had financial troubles and couldn't get his hands on much cash and was not being able to control his personal life."

Coley lost his home as part of a divorce judgment. His ex-wife, Deniece Coley, also was to receive $190 each week in child support for their 7-year-old son. They were married in 1998 and separated June 12, when Deniece moved out.

In filing for divorce, she claimed Ricky Coley was "at fault for the breakdown of the marriage due to his infidelity, physical, mental, emotional and psychological abuse." She also said he had attacked her on two occasions.

Residents who live in the upscale neighborhood where the standoff happened were back home Tuesday.

More than 1,000 people attend a memorial vigil for O'Rourke, a married father of four, outside the township police headquarters Tuesday night.

Complete coverage of the West Bloomfield Township shooting on Crimesider